Matts 500 gallon funhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo Reef LED

RS Sponsor
re: Matts 500 gallon funhouse

Hi Al

Manufacturing changes are not as "easy" as they would appear when you are in the middle of Production runs. This is the absolute first GHL requirement that Apollo has been requested to engage in after selling hundreds of our dimable fixtures. A one off for us doesn't necessarily equate to a "stop Production!" ;) Actually we are getting more requests for Reef Angels now than Profilux so we need to focus where the customers needs are more prevalent.

All that being said, I think there is one piece that you are missing that made this harder for Matt than need be, with all due respect to you, GHL and Michael, take a look at the 6 wire phone cord that comes with the EVG card directly from GHL. Why is this bare wires and not a plug and play connection? I mean, this part is a a GHL connection and its not "plug and play" . That part really confused me, couldn't they put the RJ11 jack on that end as well to just plug it in? Can one of you recommend that to GHL for future ease?

We will look into making a cable to connect to the EVG card but at the end of the day, the EVG card will still require sticking wires into holes unless they provide a jack instead of block X104 as it is. I dont see building the card into our fixtures at an added cost.

I hope that in the near future Apollo will have a "ProfiLux" compatible option. It would only take a small amount of work and a few dollars to make it completely Plug n Play. It's up to the light manufacturer to complete the connection to the controller if possible. If the light company hasn't made that provision then there is some DIY work involved. Back there somewhere is a list of the other manufacturers that have already done this in one way or another.

I whole heartedly agree this could have been simpler but there is no way to for the first time to be much better because one side had never met the other and admittedly neither one wanted to take the "liability" for a mistake.

aqua_digital

RS Sponsor

Hiya

without wanting to hijack this thread, just to answer this one important question about the wiring harness.

This is so the unit remains 100% flexible should anyone wish to attempt the use with another controller. The wiring diagram clearly states what each pin is for so the unit could be adapted to any controller that can handle AC switching from a DC dimmable circuit, although at present no other controller offers this extra circuit on their DC output. It also provides flexibility for the manufacturer of the lamp which was it first intended use.

it also only take a minute to insert these wires.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Bulk reef supply. We only need 1 more person. Cmon lets roll rs!

,.......don't believe this matt guy

steved13

PREMIUM

Hi Al

Manufacturing changes are not as "easy" as they would appear when you are in the middle of Production runs. This is the absolute first GHL requirement that Apollo has been requested to engage in after selling hundreds of our dimable fixtures. A one off for us doesn't necessarily equate to a "stop Production!" ;) Actually we are getting more requests for Reef Angels now than Profilux so we need to focus where the customers needs are more prevalent.

All that being said, I think there is one piece that you are missing that made this harder for Matt than need be, with all due respect to you, GHL and Michael, take a look at the 6 wire phone cord that comes with the EVG card directly from GHL. Why is this bare wires and not a plug and play connection? I mean, this part is a a GHL connection and its not "plug and play" . That part really confused me, couldn't they put the RJ11 jack on that end as well to just plug it in? Can one of you recommend that to GHL for future ease?

We will look into making a cable to connect to the EVG card but at the end of the day, the EVG card will still require sticking wires into holes unless they provide a jack instead of block X104 as it is. I dont see building the card into our fixtures at an added cost.

Joe, with all due respect, you've missed something. Nobody said anything about building it into your fixture, or modifying your fixture, or stopping production runs. Simply buy an EVG card from GHL wire it up, and sell it at a profit as the plug and play solution.

I don't understand why this seems so difficult. If you have no demand, then feel free to ignore the solution as it's not needed, and say so. I don't understand why, the "it can't be done" from the manufacturers keeps coming out. It can be done, simply, cheaply and easily...Matt has done it, I'm pretty sure at this point he can unplug from the light and unplug from the GHL profilux, and hand it to somebody else to use as a plug and play solution.

dmatt88

Joe, with all due respect, you've missed something. Nobody said anything about building it into your fixture, or modifying your fixture, or stopping production runs. Simply buy an EVG card from GHL wire it up, and sell it at a profit as the plug and play solution.

I don't understand why this seems so difficult. If you have no demand, then feel free to ignore the solution as it's not needed, and say so. I don't understand why, the "it can't be done" from the manufacturers keeps coming out. It can be done, simply, cheaply and easily...Matt has done it, I'm pretty sure at this point he can unplug from the light and unplug from the GHL profilux, and hand it to somebody else to use as a plug and play solution.

Hey. Not so fast. Haha.

dmatt88

Its sports time in the doering home. Ill have this thing flowing soon if it kills me. This pesky job thing takes up too much time.

phantom2991

Does thinking about it count?

no. actions speak louder that words, or in your case thoughts. i can think about cleaning the house all day, doesn't mean a damn thing is gonna get done. :)

dmatt88

no. actions speak louder that words, or in your case thoughts. i can think about cleaning the house all day, doesn't mean a damn thing is gonna get done. :)

Hey what's the word from the doc. Yesterday was Monday

dmatt88

OK, thought of the evening. Through the years u collect things in the tank that u may not want long term. I'm there. So here's the plan. Buy more rock to get the rock scape the way I want it. Move over all the corals to frag tanks n start over. Besides. I hate my sand. Well there ya go. So hows everybody's evening going?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

Does thinking about it count?

one simply cannot be hoisted by ones own petard... the fortune of the man that sits, also sits.. so get off your butt and stop farting about

dmatt88

Oh perfection takes time...... course so does mold. Well anyway. I'm ordering rock.

Tru2nr

i like to use a new tank as to correct things that i learned from the previous ones...be it with scaping or corals or pics...for example...xenia...never ever touching my tank...sand...never ever ever using black/white sand it just looks dirty lol

Status
Not open for further replies.