martin's 39g tank

mcfly

startin on my first saltwater tank, second attempt, bc first attempt after cycling for about a month i had this white mucusing stuff growing everywhere, it is a 39 gallon high tank, with a simple combo filter and skimmer. - 70 dollars on craigslist

white stuff first time around

tank3.jpg

second time around cycling early november, lb live rock, one damsel-7 dollars

fishtank007.jpg

first purchase 1-4-08
10lbs live rock, 5 snails, 3 hermit crabs- 63 dollars

fishtank010.jpg

fishtank009.jpg

upclose of the rock, with purple coraline and some frags

fishtank020.jpg

fishtank012.jpg

rock just sitting
fishtank031.jpg

i have debating for weeks now what to do with arraging i am going to get more rock but i just wanted to see how it sat in my tank, i think i am going to go with zipties and a drill esp since my tank is weird shaped and not much floor space to lay stuff, so build up, like some tall towers and an arch, cant make up my mind, i bought pvc pipe, glue and zipties, so i could play around and then just take back what i didnt use to home depot, any ideas?

Last edited:

tigerarmy90

really nice looking rock! where did you get it? It should help your cycle as is doenst look like its fully cured

lcstorc

You definitely need more LR. Get it now before you start cycling or stocking the tank. If you wait to add it later you will need to cure it in a separate container before adding it to the tank. The die-off will start another cycle and you don't want that after you start stocking.
I have my LR all carefully stacked. Lots of arches since I have a peninsula tank where you can see from both sides. Just make sure the rock is stable. Rockslides can crush a fish or crack your tank.

mcfly

I got it from a guy who owns a small coral store in norfolk, va. He def. Has the healthiest tanks i have ever seen, n sells stuff for great prices, that rock was only 4.99 a lb, just curious as to why u say it wasnt fully cycled bc i have had live rock in there for a month an half at least n a damsel an live sand for about a month. The top picture was from a first try before dumped out the water n started again

mcfly

No not yet, i had 1 lb of rock, 5 lbs of live sand, an fish in the tank for about a month an half, then friday went and purchased 10 lbs of rock n some snails to see about how much space it would take up in the tank, n i was plannin on monday goin to purchase an additional 20 lbs of rock, the rock is all local an not shipped, i have monitored just my amomina levels and ph an salinity, up till friday n was plannin on gettin additional testin supplies when i went on monday

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The reason you were asked about the Nitrites and Nitrates is that's how you "monitor" the cycle. Ammonia peaks first (Very hard on the fish, if it doesn't kill it it's life will be shortened GREATLY) then Nitrites (also HARD on the fish) then as the biological filtration populates to handle the new bio-load your nitrites will be converted into Nitrates. That's when you do a large Water Change and you can add a fish.

Even during a trip HOME from the LFS you can have a certain amount of Die-Off from the rock which can cause another cycle to start up. The more you can do now the better for you and your tank.

I think you're off to a GOOD start but be VERY leery of advice from LFS... remember most are more concerned about your $$$ than you livestock. If the damsel dies it's just more $$ for him. Some are VERY respectable but they are few and far between.

good luck and Happy Reefing :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
i have debating for weeks now what to do with arraging i am going to get more rock but i just wanted to see how it sat in my tank, i think i am going to go with zipties and a drill esp since my tank is weird shaped and not much floor space to lay stuff, so build up, like some tall towers and an arch, cant make up my mind, i bought pvc pipe, glue and zipties, so i could play around and then just take back what i didnt use to home depot, any ideas?

Here's an "idea" for some interesting rock scaping... by a fellow reefer on another forum named crazy4acros from AZ. (he gave me permission to post these here... he's inspired by a Bonzai Tree) These pics have inspired me to possibly attempt something like that in my tank...

DSC05429.jpg

DSC05428.jpg

DSC05386.jpg

and here it is with the sun casting an AMAZING shadow off of it
DSC05367.jpg

mcfly

that sick looking, i got 15 more lbs of rock yesterday and just started stacking, i tried the zip ties but it seemed kinda pointless, and the pvc is too much for my little tank, so i am probally just going with the old fashion approach plus i am moving in about 8 months so if i like reefing that much ill prob upgrade to a bigger tank. but i measured my nitrates and nitrites and ammiona levels and it all came out good. i also found 4 different types of corals on my rocks. i found 3 about nickel to quater sized mushrooms not sure what kind, i believe they are spotted. there are also couple other corals that are about dime sized. ha dont have a clue to what they are.cnfzd: I probally have just sat looking at my tank for hours at all the little live critters that come in and out of the rocks. but my fish store i go to is just a older guy who owns a little coral store, he is very knowledgable and and usually gives me pretty good deals, from comparing to online stores and such. he seems to be a nice and honest guy. i dont currently have a skimmer and have been browsing and researching them bc i know they are very important and i was talking with the guy that owns the coral store and he said he had a cpr hang on skimmer that he had laying around that he would give me for 25 bucks and show me how to use it and such and he said it was a decent little skimmer, have u all any imput on that kinda skimmer??? i will post some pics soon.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I haven't used that skimmer but just about ANY skimmer is better than NO skimmer. As long as it 'Skims" it's better than nothing. You could get that one to get you by until you can get a more efficient one for your tank.

sounds like you're well on your way buddy. :)

mcfly

here are some updates, so far everything has gone smoothly recently just got a cpr hang on skimmer, and bought to clowns yesterday, and my mushrooms have exploded. i have found a couple other small coral that have started to pop up on other rocks too. i am pretty stoked on the rock got, but need to get a few more peices still, there are also tons of lil starfish

looking into my room
P1160154.jpg

3 stooges, they seem to get along fine, everyonce in a while the damsel will charge the clowns but doesnt seem to bite or anything
P1160152.jpg

4 shrooms
P1160247.jpg

haha my favorite time, the ladies love this :)
P1150109.jpg

stupid clown chasing his reflection in the glass
P1160071.jpg

underwater shot a few diferent kind of zoos to the right and a tiny peice of a orange leather i guess it is
P1160055.jpg

tbittner

That is some great looking rock! It looks like you brought it home in bags full of water? How long has it been in water where you bought it at? I'm thinking that it very well could be fully cured rock and the LFS that you bought it at knows what they are doing and sent it home with you completely submersed in water.

I mean, look at the growth of the corals already! I'm impressed not only with your tank, but your LFS. Looks like you got an awesome place to go ask questions and to buy things.