Mark's RSM 130D Adventure

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
^+1 on keeping an eye on the ammonia. Having SW mixed up for a partial WC to bring it down being your best plan. Love your rockscape:thumbup:

Joeys Tank

Sitting under a rock is common behavior for a Striped (banded) Brittle Star. I have one in my tank and after the first month, he has settled down under one rock and hasn't left it in the last 6 months. If it does start to roam a bit, this means it is searching for food and you will want to "target feed" it. It will eat pretty much anything.

Thanks for the feedback Oxy and Diana. I tested last night and the Ammonia level seemed to improve just slightly. I held off on a water change for now but will test it each day to keep an eye on it.

Last night, I installed the Red Sea Pump upgrade, which went smoothly, however the pump is a bit noisy. Thinking it just needs to break in a bit. Has anyone ever installed a "Y" on the output? I am getting very little agitation at the surface, but also some detritus collecting at the bottom, so not sure where to aim the new single output.

I also installed the Tunze ATO. I used a 5.5 gallon aquarium and it couldn't fit more perfect in the base. I came home from work today to find the pump jammed. I cycled the power and now it is working fine. Thinking that some air got in the pump? Not sure...

The livestock is doing great. although they seem to be having a tough time keeping up with the algae growth. I was looking to add some Nerites and Trochus snails anyway. I also threw some random shells in there and some of the red hermits are already switching up.

Never though getting a CUC would be so fascinating!!

-Mark

NickF

I wouldn't worry too much about the algae, as long as you pull the long stuff the cuc will take care of the rest. My emerald crabs devoured all mine and it never came back, ate the bubble algae as well. I know some folks are in the "all crabs are evil" club but I think they're cool, mine even let me know if any rocks/coral are unstable by knocking them over :yup:

Thanks Nick. I really like my emerald crab but he is pretty shy. He hides somewhere in the rocks most of the day.

I just tested the water and the ammonia is just about back to zero. nitrites at zero and the nitrates are around 5ppm. So glad I invested in an rodi unit from the get go.

I noticed that my water level is a bit higher than I like but I think it is because the filter pad needs to be changed. I put the ATO sensor in the skimmer section....was this not a good idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Thanks Nick. I really like my emerald crab but he is pretty shy. He hides somewhere in the rocks most of the day.

They are nocturnal, so most of the day you won't see them. They can learn to come out at feeding time though. But, for the most part you'd probably only see them in the morning and night.

So my hair algae problem is under control. I took NickF's advice and yanked off the long piece and the CUC took care of the rest. I picked up a couple coral frags over the weekend, but they were more of an impulse buy. I got some little yellow zoas and a GSP. I should have researched the GSP more, as I hear it can be a nuisance, and the one I got was not exactly the color that I liked, but will see how it goes. Both corals opened up after a day. I just placed them on the sand, but I will likely pull the GSP off the tile that it is on and try to glue it to a rock that is somewhat isolated from the rest of the scape (I saw DianaKay mention this in another post. I also picked up a small Algae Blenny and he seems to enjoy crawling around the tank. I just noticed a few minutes ago that he sleeps under the sand...pretty kewl!

Here is a pic of the Zoa:

When I put it in the tank, I immediately noticed a hitchhiker crawling off of it. Some sort of slug looking thing. Any ideas? I may post it in the hitchhiker forum for an ID. It crawled pretty cast onto a nearby live rock, and now I have no idea where he went:

After I took this picture, we shut the lights off and I turned on the flashlight on my iPhone to check things out. We saw all these bugs swimming around....it was kinda freaky. My wife said that the bugs must have come off the corals that we just placed in the tank but I found it hard to believe, as there were so many of them. I stopped the pump and took a closer look, then researched the web and I think they are hermit crab larvae...here is some video I took:

So I guess things are going well if my hermits are going to town.

I am still a bit concerned about my ammonia, as it is still not quite zero....sort of in between zero and .25. I swear it is my test kit, so I may get another one. I am using an API and I heard they are not always accurate.

Well....that's it for now. I hope to get some more frags over the next couple weeks, then maybe a couple purcula clowns, but I am having a hard time finding them.

Oxylebius

Yes, Stomatella snail, good cuc to have and some of the pods in the vid look like mysids (mysis shrimp).

NickF

I had a Stomatella, it came in on the LR when I first set my tank up. They don't seem to sell them anywhere, I'm not sure why as they are very good cuc. You are lucky getting one on your frag, although I would advise using a coral dip before adding corals to your tank as not all hitchhikers are good and dipping them will remove any nasties, I use CoralRX.

Oxylebius

Stomatella are good cuc b/c they eat all kinds of algae, not as particular as other snails are. Plus they are long and skinny and can get between and into cracks and they won't plow down and knock over your frags.

Thanks for the ID on my hitchhiker. This Stomatella is all over the place. A fast little critter!

I had my first loss...my Scarlet Skunk Shrimp went missing, and I randomly see some parts on the sand. Not sure how he died, but my wife suspects that the Peppermint Shrimp did it. He seems to be quite aggressive. I also had a couple snails die, and most of my Blue Leg Hermits are no longer in their shells. Everyone else seems to be doing well. Is it normal to lose snails?

The water is the same as it has been. A touch of ammonia that I can't figure out, 0 Nitrite, and 0-5 Nitrate. I purchased some Stability to ensure the bacteria population is good. I am also getting another test kit from API. I am thinking that I may be getting a false reading? Anyone ever experience this with an API kit?

I have quite a bit of a diatom outbreak, and while the hair algae is completely under control, I noticed some bubble algae just starting to grow.

Here are some recent pics:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would guess... your shrimp molted, he is in hiding now while his new shell hardens & you will see him again, what you are seeing is his molt. This is just a guess, but a common question, I remember when I thought I lost mine.

If you have hermit crabs, you will need to replace snails from time to time, they love escargot :winky:

on the Stability... it will mask your test results, me... I would quite dosing it, add a 100 ml bag of purigen & start 15% weekly water changes

So, it's been a little while since I posted. My skunk shrimp never showed back up. I did lose a couple snails for no good reason, and the hermits didn't seem to be the cause. Also, I still have this "phantom" ammonia reading....it is almost zero, but not quite. Even after water changes it is still slightly off the zero reading (however I am color blind....could just be me. My Nitrites are zero and Nitrates are under .5.

I probably should have left things as is for a while, but had the itch and purchased some more soft corals, a BTA, and a flame Angel.

My blenny went into hiding, and my peppermint shrimp seemed stressed out and is MIA now. Also, my BTA seems happy, but it squeeze down into a hole in the rock and I cant even see him until the lights are out. Fed it some shrimp last night and it seemed quite happy though. Here are some pics....purchased from PEA and had a great experience with them. What great people...

-Mark