Mark's Red Sea Max 250 Adventure

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looks great Mark,
I will be starting my tank thread later this evening after getting my 5 posts in so I can start with photos :)
I have just bought a RS Max C-250 not sure if this is same as yours, but mine is white.

Mine is not a C, not even sure which it is though, it's a year old.

Mark9

Tank really cleared up a lot last night.
Last picture until there's really something to see.

P1070382_zps45823858.jpg

shadi75

About the temperature, i forgot to plug the fan in the back when i first got mine, there is a wire plug that goes from the hood and plugs in on the left side on the back of the tank , those fans help keep your tank cool also there is a switch to turn them off and on where the moon light switch is, just in case you forgot about that part i only realized it few days after , its loud too.

Mark9

Well, yesterday was an expensive one.
Really needed a chiller, tank had got to 82.9 Saturday morning.
Ran out, got a chiller at my favorite LFS, an AquaEuroUSA 1/4 hp.
Was on clearance, so a score for $399.
Also picked up an MP40w while i was there, ouch on the wallet.
I'm sure the fishies will appreciate it.

Mark9

Lots happening.
- Eheim 3000 came in, got it hooked up to the chiller, working great
- got the ATO plumbed in, indicator panel mounted, bought a container for the water, it's filling up with ro/di right now
- finally finished mounting the MP40 controller
- moved in a bit more rock (from the 10G) and some corals
- and moved in 2 fish!

Did the Chromis first a couple days ago.
Tuesday, came home from and and noticed the filter went out on my QT tank, so I moved over the Anthias that had been in there for almost a couple months.
Both fish doing great, eating very well.
No Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate.
Listed the 10G on CL, sold it yesterday, always intended to shut that tank down
Didn't think i'd get a cycle with a good 75 pounds of live rock.
Not going to move any more fish over until I get the skimmer working.
May just have to live with bubbles for awhile until it breaks in.

Just a so-so picture.
P1070398_zpsca8e51ea.jpg

Bonus picture of my 8G nano, i'll probably move most of these critters over eventually.
P1070401_zpse89f0a6b.jpg

Mark9

About the temperature, i forgot to plug the fan in the back when i first got mine, there is a wire plug that goes from the hood and plugs in on the left side on the back of the tank , those fans help keep your tank cool also there is a switch to turn them off and on where the moon light switch is, just in case you forgot about that part i only realized it few days after , its loud too.

My fan fuse was blown, got a 3 pack from Radio Shack for 3 bucks. It's loud though.

shadi75

Yep the fans are loud and the skimmer is way too loud , i got it working good but its just too loud specially at night i notice it more.

Mark9

Wow, is the site ever slow today.
Made some progress though, ATO all hooked up.
Thought I had the skimmer set, then bubbles started again.
I'm just going to let it go for a couple days to see what happens.

P1070410_zps1e0f702f.jpg

shadi75

As the skimmer is breaking in you will get bubbles for a while, i think i had mine making lots of bubbles for 3-4 days before they were gone. Start by opening the air valve just a bit make sure its not over skimming ( its really sensitive). Let it work dont play around with it yet . I m still experimenting but i think the higher the water lvl the better so i keep water lvl high.

Mark9

As the skimmer is breaking in you will get bubbles for a while, i think i had mine making lots of bubbles for 3-4 days before they were gone. Start by opening the air valve just a bit make sure its not over skimming ( its really sensitive). Let it work dont play around with it yet . I m still experimenting but i think the higher the water lvl the better so i keep water lvl high.

Thanks.
I think I have it set about 1/2, but it's really hard to tell.
It's hard to turn and there's not a lot of room for my fingers to get in there and turn it.
Counter clockwise open, clockwise closed?

YNot

Thanks.
I think I have it set about 1/2, but it's really hard to tell.
It's hard to turn and there's not a lot of room for my fingers to get in there and turn it.
Counter clockwise open, clockwise closed?

The skimmer air valve is a tricky bugger.
There something about it that is not in the owners manual and is only discovered by a few, while cleaning the skimmer.

The valve is fully closed when turned all the way in either direction.
Fully open when it's somewhere in between full clockwise and full counter clockwise.
I dorked with mine for months before I discovered this trivial bit of info.

What I did (and several others have) is to take the skimmer out. Adjust the valve so that it's halfway between full clockwise and full counter clockwise.
Cut the hose about 1 inch from where it would connect to the skimmer body. Put in a regular plastic air valve and use the new air valve to adjust the skimmer.

It's MUCH easier to adjust.

You might need to put some small zip ties on each end of the hose where it connects to the new air valve but that's a tiny detail that you can do after the fact if you feel the need.

grantd

Mark I haven't had bubble issues before. (Many other tank issues but not bubbles!!!)
I replaced the Hydor Skimmer pump with a Sicce as it was giving restarting hassles & made a racket!!! No problems in 3 years with the Sicce.
My water level is always above the height of the black tank rim, preferably just below the plastic drain areas for the wiring - so very high.
Then I keep the water level above the 2 line from the top on the "sump gauge window".
My skimmer is set full throttle open all the time on my skimmer that is fully turned anticlockwise.
The skimmer circle section I try to keep displaying 4 or 5 lines.
As the water level changes with skimmate removal, I maintain the "sump gauge window" at 2nd line all the time by adjusting the overflow gate downwards maybe once a week by a 0.5cm or so and turn skimmer circle down a half to full turn, (seldom gone below 3 lines).
If you manage your water level in tank & sump & keep you skimmer bubbles exiting into the circle, you shouldnt get bubbling.

I feel turning the skimmer adjuster knob is decreasing the amount of air bubbles flowing thru the water which reduces the effectiveness of the skimmer. imo that should not be a consideration for reducing your microbubbles. Hope you come right.

Mark9

Again, lots happening.
Looks like my trials with the skimmer have been fruitful.
WAY less bubbles today, and it's frothing pretty good.
I made a bubbletrap, proving quite effective.
And moved over a bunch of corals and some rock.
Need to move a few things, but it's tiring.
And added a bit more sand, so it's still a bit cloudy.
Coming along.

P1070416_zpsbfe57835.jpg

P1070413_zps7b40adaf.jpg