Marine Velvet

Susanedw

This has been the worst week in all my 6 months. I've lost 7 fish in a week.
I suspect the last batch of fish around mother's day brought something in. I purchased 3 anthias and 2 barnacle blennies (haven't seen them for days. But they are hard to find anyway so am hopeful.) To cement this fear, I had also bought a yellow watchman goby for my display refugium at the same time. He lasted no more than a week or two. Wasn't acting right from the beginning, wasn't eating and wasted away. Not sure if he had velvet or not as he took longer to die. But the fact that it died in one tank, followed the the other three from same source, and some of my other fish just over 30 days later, leads me to believe these fish had something or brought something in as parameters have been pretty good except high nitrates

I did some research and believe I have Marine Velvet. this weeks loses:
1 bicolor blenny, 1 kole tang, 2 clowns--my first fish in Dec., 3 anthias
I still have
1 sleeper gold head goby, 1 scooter blenny, 2 blue-green chromis. Maybe 2 barnacle blennies

Maybe a good thing my refugium isn't plumbed to main tank yet as there are 3 damsels in there and they haven't shown any signs of illness. No, I don't have a quarantine tank and yes, I am in process of setting one one up.
A friend asked if the velvet came into my tank came from the frag tank that the corals my dau gave me were in. I don't think so as there were no fish but I don't know. Plus I'm not sure if it is plumbed into the main display or separate. If separate, then I wouldn't think so. If plumbed to main tank, they would be having issues.
Whatever the cause, it's wiping my fish out but corals doing fantastically well. I suspect the last batch of fish in may had brought the velvet in. still very bummed but trying to be positive. Maybe I can really get a handle on the algae with less nutrients...

So from what I read, I need to let the tank sit fallow for 6-8 weeks. If these four fish survive, can they stay or do I need to remove them to a separate tank and treat

Also what should I use to treat? And how? I have a 10 gal I can set up. Hve to get a lid that will work around the hob filter. Our temps are so hot right now, I don't think I need to worry about a heater. I even shut off the heater for the display refugium.

Any suggestions welcome. I'm truly bummed and heartbroken, even though I know this happens. Has to my sil many times. But it still hurts.

Susanedw

Will read the links. I'm on another forum as well, not sure if I should mention here or not and posted the same info and have had some great advice and links to other articles. If I get the okay from anyone in the know, I'll post my thread there or you can pm me.

Basically my plan of attack:
set up a qt tank for 76 days and let both the main tank and display refugium go fallow. The tanks are too close together, even not yet plumbed together and MV can travel by air. This means in addition to the 4 surviving fish I have to qt the 3 damsels in the other tank and let both tanks sit.

All fish get 5 minutes fresh water
60-90 minutes bath in the rallys ruby reef
fritz mardells copper safe in qt for 30 days
Kanaplex added

My challenge: 10 gal tank with nothing. So bought a 20 gal hex for half off due to led lights not working. Petsmart did not have any of the medication stuff. So using the plain 10 gal with netting on top and airstone until stuff from amazon gets here on sat. Best I can do for the 4 survivers in the main tank is the fresh water dip for now and go with above program on Sat.

got one fish out and put it in about 5 gal water (in a ten gal tank). Scooter blenny so added some sand which will get tossed. Going to have to tear the main display apart to get out the 2 chromis and sand sifter. And after those four are in qt, I'll prob. have to do same to get the damsels. Prob. be redoing the main tank completely which gives me a chance to get rid of algae.

For future needs, will have dau who is a vet give me prescription for chloroquine phospate and have it on hand.

Coraljunkie

I wouldn't use anything under a 29 gallon. Water chemistry and or ammonia spikes are very unforgiving especially in small tanks. I'd skip the freshwater dip,I believe it just adds more stress than what its worth. I've lost plenty of battles to velvet over the years and then started to qt my fish. I used seachem paraguard for 2 weeks to treat fish while in the qt, then I would do a few water changes to clear the water up and then I'd monitor the fish for anther 2 weeks. Important note, while your display tank is fallow never use the same nets, feeding devices, basically anything you use inside tanks. Also do not add anything new to your display tank, no coral, clams, anemones. Having a display tank with no fish in it is a little depressing, take the time and spot feed your lps. It'll give you a new appreciation for them and will help keep you interested.

Susanedw

@Coraljunkie Thanks. I already got the 20 gal. I have a 37 gal but it has to go fallow at same time as the two tanks are next to ea other (display refug). It will only have macro algae and a cuc once I remove damsels. I just don't have the room for another larger tank (yeah 20 not large but bigger footprint than a 20 hex which is better than the old 10 I was going to use). Plus, office is only 10 x 10 so qt tank cannot be in same room for 8 weeks to 76 days

One reason I didn't set up qt before was I think it also adds a stress level to new fish. Better lose a couple new fish than most of your current stock...

Plan to buy new nets after I get fish into qt--toss all---and get new turkey basters. Glass items for gathering testing water can be boiled and put in dishwater--yikes, all testing bottles have to be separated and boiled as well, right? I have one decor item with lots of cubbies like a townhouse that I got for the damsels and chromis to keep stress down in the hex qt. I'll either toss after qt or dishwasher and bleach and rinse good and put in hot sun for a few days. I think that will kill anything. Assuming I have to do the same to the filter and qt.

I know I can use pvc pipe but If I have to keep fish in qt for 76 days I want it to look nice <g>. Too bad it can't be in my office where I can see it...

Tomorrow, will try to remove corals and put netting around rock work to block as much as I can.

Blue Space

So sorry to hear about your devastating loss, Susan. I think most reefers get by for a long while without a QT but if you stay in the game long enough, sooner or later, you're going to get something you don't want in your system. Glad to know you've got one setup now. QT everything... even live rock, snails, nothing gets in without spending some time in my isolation tank. That's the only way to protect the main system from unwanted hitchhikers, algae, disease, etc.

mr_tap_water

Sorry to hear for your losses and like already said it's one the worst ones you could get,
I hope things will work out for you and I'm sure you will bounce back [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coraljunkie

So sorry to hear about your devastating loss, Susan. I think most reefers get by for a long while without a QT but if you stay in the game long enough, sooner or later, you're going to get something you don't want in your system. Glad to know you've got one setup now. QT everything... even live rock, snails, nothing gets in without spending some time in my isolation tank. That's the only way to protect the main system from unwanted hitchhikers, algae, disease, etc.
I agree 100%

Susanedw

@Blue Space What do you put in a qt for snails or corals for a preventative, or to kill anything unwanted like algae. I know with fish there are medication steps, which I'll have to figure out when I am allowed to put in something new.

@mr_tap_water I will comeback with a better system. I'm taking the attitude that I can do a cntr-alt-del on my tank and reset it during this time. I have 76 days once all fish are out to rid the MT of ALL algae, and the DR as well. Just a new and different journey for now. But I'll miss seeing the fish while I work. M ight have to take my laptop out into living room.

Copper and meds arrive today. Fish out either today or tomorrow. The 4 left seem to not be affected--of course, 2 are the chromis. The scooter blenny is in the temp tank as he was easy to catch. I'll do the Rally's soak on him and move him into the qt tank. Have some cheaper sand arriving today as he and the sand sifter need sand. I'll just toss it.

I had picked up some National Geo sand at petsmart but as it says freshwater, decided not to use it. Plus not sure the grains are small enough for the goby. I'll keep the cheap sand for qt'ing livestock needing sand beds and only 30 days in qt. I think the sand affects ph or something with reef tanks. Not sure.

The last fish I lost was on Wed.
2 clowns, bicolor blenny, tang :)(), 3 anthias :)crying: my fav after tang), and 2 barnacle blennies as I have not see either for over a week. Surviving: 2 chromis (of course), Sleeper gold head goby, scooter blenny.

After these fish are moved, I have to take the 3 damsels out of the DR and that will certainly mean rock removal... Want to get other fish in qt and damsels last. Who knows, when it's all done, might put them all in the MT, and thinking of putting the goby in the DR as he gets sand all over corals so I can't put any on the sand bed.

Thanks for all the support.