mangroves?

elliottb

I have had mine in my tank for maybe 2-3 months now and there is significant growth. I will try to remember to get a pic tomorrow. There are many new leaves and the roots are starting to grow quite a bit!

Varga

I've had mine for maybe 3 months. Each stock has developed 2 leaves but the root have grown alot! I have a 6500k bulb right above them. I spray them 2-3 times per day with fresh RO water. pretty sure they do almost nothing for the tank but it would be cool if they grow up and reach the ceiling. I'll post an update in 7 years :)

Attachments

• mangroves.JPG
    mangroves.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 32
  • mangroves close.JPG
    mangroves close.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 32

Frankie

RS STAFF
Cool! Once you get a few more tiers they will help with nutrients a lot you will find.

Varga

I want a big one like yours Frankie, can I buy them that size or will they never acclimate?

Frankie

RS STAFF
There is a place in Florida that sells them. Try Google. It's been a long time since i searched them out. Mine looked like yours not to long ago. Just keep misting them every day.

BarbMazz

Yesterday I ordered a cuc for both my sump and my refuge, and included 10 mangroves for my refuge. I ordered from our sponsor http://reefscavengers.org . John was very patient with me and my emailing yesterday! Thanks, John!

I'm going to try growing them hydroponically and keep the roots trimmed as John suggests on the site. I'm going to attach them together with styrofoam, maybe some eggcrate, and float them in a corner. I'll post some pictures when they arrive... probably Tues.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I did not see it anywhere but one of the things needed by mangroves to counter act the high chloride levels, which are "toxic", is to make sure the Mg++ is at normal levels for what ever Salinity they are kept at. Meaning, Mg++ should be around ~ 37 ppm / 1 ppt salinity. If you are using Sg then 50 ppm / sg ( just drop the 1.0 from the 1.026 so it is 26, so 50 x 26 = 1,300 ppm). Low Mg++ will make them wilt and die.

BarbMazz

I did not see it anywhere but one of the things needed by mangroves to counter act the high chloride levels, which are "toxic", is to make sure the Mg++ is at normal levels for what ever Salinity they are kept at. Meaning, Mg++ should be around ~ 37 ppm / 1 ppt salinity. If you are using Sg then 50 ppm / sg ( just drop the 1.0 from the 1.026 so it is 26, so 50 x 26 = 1,300 ppm). Low Mg++ will make them wilt and die.

Thanks, Boomer! Good to know.

elliottb

Here are a few updated pics of the tank:

100_2514.jpg

100_2515.jpg

100_2512.jpg

100_2511.jpg

100_2517.jpg

Varga

wow, Great fuge Elliottb.

what the pvc sticking out of the sand? is there a plenum under there?

Frankie

RS STAFF
That looks grrrrrrrrreat! Elliott. :)
you need some sargassum in there and it would be complete.

elliottb

wow, Great fuge Elliottb.

what the pvc sticking out of the sand? is there a plenum under there?

That looks grrrrrrrrreat! Elliott. :)
you need some sargassum in there and it would be complete.

I am actually planning on getting some jawfish in there, that is what the PVC pipe is. The pvc pipe will hopefuly provide their little home.

I also will be gettign the cheato out of there hopefully soon. I just need a spot to put it! I also want to get a mandarin because there are pods going EVERYWHERE! Every little nook and cranny I look I see movement.

Varga

the roots have gone crazy....

Attachments

• mangrove roots [640x480].jpg
    mangrove roots [640x480].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 25