HELP! Mandarin pellet feeding

Choff

I grabbed Bryan's (psu4me) about a month ago when he broke down his tank. He had it eating everything. I feed the small pellets and LRS reef frenzy and he is eating well. He hangs out in the far corner of the tank so I hit the front of the tank first with food that draws all the fish. Then I blast is corner and he eats in peace.

bazmackem

You're Welcome for any help from me :thumber2:
Try not to stress, I know how hard it is to not tho....been there and decided it wasn't worth it to me. Sometimes the Mandarin Dragonet is a survivor and sometimes not: Don't blame yourself for trying!!
Sometimes the LFS will have Chaeto. ASK THEM....sometimes it's not out where you can see it but they will sell you some if they have it. You don't need very much because it grows fast once it gets started. A baseball size bunch is plenty. If the LFS doesn't have any, ask them if they can get some. I donate lots to the semi-LFS here just to keep from tossing it out in my yard.
The pods will hide & thrive in the "pod hotel" where the Mandarin can catch pods coming & going into it. That's the idea anyway. Copepods like chaeto. :winky:
Good Luck with your mandarin & your stress level :)
Thanks again! Do you think a net bag would be better or a bottle (as your initial post in the other thread)? I really want to succeed at it - hopefully Ill get lucky if I put the work in! Plan is to put this behind the rockscape out of sight and pop loads of pods in. Thinking of breeding using a culture kit still.

bazmackem

I grabbed Bryan's (psu4me) about a month ago when he broke down his tank. He had it eating everything. I feed the small pellets and LRS reef frenzy and he is eating well. He hangs out in the far corner of the tank so I hit the front of the tank first with food that draws all the fish. Then I blast is corner and he eats in peace.
Lets hope that I can manage to get mine to do the same!!!
There are only 2 clowns and CUC in with him so no competition for the pods that I know of. When feeding I throw some flakes on the top and sprinkle one or two a bit lower (the Fire Shrimp goes crazy for them! then Ive been trying to entice the mandarin with pellets... both sprinkling acouple above his head to float down, and also squirting using a pipette. So far no joy - but god loves a trier!

bazmackem

That is Good reading! Sounds like these are a success! At least if I cant get chaeto I could use filter media! I have a decent amount of loose rock in the tank (it was under the pump originally but I replaced with different filter media) so hopefully this does a job at harbouring pods.

DaveK

Think I will ring LFS up tomor and see what they suggest...

This is not the best idea. While there are a few exceptions, most LFSs are either out to make the sale or are clueless when it comes to do with anything about any type of advanced aquarium system.

I know this sounds like I'm down on LFSs. Actually I'm not, but the bottom line is that one are two people in the LFS are almost never going to beat the collective knowledge that you will get on a reef forum like RS. Here you get a full range of opinions available. Some of those options are better choices than others, but at least you know about them.

bazmackem

This is not the best idea. While there are a few exceptions, most LFSs are either out to make the sale or are clueless when it comes to do with anything about any type of advanced aquarium system.

I know this sounds like I'm down on LFSs. Actually I'm not, but the bottom line is that one are two people in the LFS are almost never going to beat the collective knowledge that you will get on a reef forum like RS. Here you get a full range of opinions available. Some of those options are better choices than others, but at least you know about them.

Thanks Dave - Yeah I Fully get you - the amount of opinion / advice is invaluable here... especially for someone new to it. The thing is with this hobby no two scenarios the same it seems. The amount of innovation people come up with is great too... there is usually a lot of ways round each obstacle! I was mainly going to call and see if he could advise what they had been feeding the mandarin before selling...

newo11

The ugly truth is that most LFS do not feed their mandarins at all. They hope they sell before they starve to death in their own tanks.

Usually you will notice that they keep mandarins in either their "fish only" setup or their invertebrate/small fish setup where there is little or no live rock. The mandarins have essentially no access to pods while in the LFS and this is after they've gone through the collection process and stressors. Usually that means no food for an extended period of time.

This is part of the reason why it is recommended that you have a large, fully established tank when introducing a mandarin. The fish needs a good constantly supply of pods to recover and return to optimal health, so that you can keep one long term.

I really hope you have success with yours. I tried one once myself, and even with several active pod farms, I was not able to keep up with its needs and it hurt to lose him. It sounds like you are trying to do whatever you can for the fish to keep it alive and for that I applaud you.

bazmackem

The ugly truth is that most LFS do not feed their mandarins at all. They hope they sell before they starve to death in their own tanks.

Usually you will notice that they keep mandarins in either their "fish only" setup or their invertebrate/small fish setup where there is little or no live rock. The mandarins have essentially no access to pods while in the LFS and this is after they've gone through the collection process and stressors. Usually that means no food for an extended period of time.

This is part of the reason why it is recommended that you have a large, fully established tank when introducing a mandarin. The fish needs a good constantly supply of pods to recover and return to optimal health, so that you can keep one long term.

I really hope you have success with yours. I tried one once myself, and even with several active pod farms, I was not able to keep up with its needs and it hurt to lose him. It sounds like you are trying to do whatever you can for the fish to keep it alive and for that I applaud you.
Thanks! I honestly am! That is terrible really - sounds like a lot don't recover. I am lucky so far that mine is eating as some seem to be pretty much broken when they are first brought home. Ill persevere up to the point I think it isn't feeding and then suppose will have to take it back? Hopefully it wont come to this though!

PS this is him when I brought him home
photo.JPG

I have attempted mandarins several times in the past 18 years, and not once have I ever seen them eat a pellet. The closest I have seen is them putting a frozen brine shrimp in their mouth, but then they spit it back out. I've never found them to be beneficial to an aquarium since they do eat all the copepods relatively quickly, then ask for seconds, and then they get skinny and die.

Best of luck to you.
I got lucky with mine. The little fella goes nuts over flakes lol

bazmackem

I got lucky with mine. The little fella goes nuts over flakes lol
Really!!? I hope mine will eventually!!!! Stocking up on more pods today!!! He's not interested in the pellets still... and I think messy may be a bit too big for him (he's only small!!). There are loads of amphipods allover the tank... if only he had a big mouth like is owner!!!

bazmackem

Hey Dave - My faith is restored in my LFS (on a different not to this post!!) - Ive been struggling to get my skimmer to work right... I called him again and he said he will pop round next week and have a look and sort it all out!!! Hopefully I've got a good one mate!!

If you need to Reef cleaners sells very large bags of pods at a reasonable price. even though mine is eating flakes I still make sure he has plenty of pods to snack on, Mandarins can look great one moment and dead the next... They honestly remind me of Morish Idols the way they can take a turn so quick..

bazmackem

If you need to Reef cleaners sells very large bags of pods at a reasonable price. even though mine is eating flakes I still make sure he has plenty of pods to snack on, Mandarins can look great one moment and dead the next... They honestly remind me of Morish Idols the way they can take a turn so quick..
Oh don't say that - I'll not sleep for checking on him!!!

I tried seeding with 2x 100ml pods tonight - was told to strain them with kitchen roll, then put in tank. They wouldn't come off the roll!! I ended up spending an hr dabbing the roll in a second container of tank water and then adding to tank... Repeat... Repeat... Repeat!

Then once I got them all... If I did!!... Into the tank, they were all quite high up! I expected them
To sink down! I had waited 20mins after lights out, and distracted clowns with flakes, pumps off... But these fellas weren't up for moving! Any ideas for next time!??! Would it be a bad ideas to dump them
Into the tank... Is the water they ship in that bad? Am I just rubbish at this game!!? All this stress for a fish that at the minute bolts when I make a move near the tank (maybe not that bad actually!!!)! If he wasn't so damn pretty/needy/entrancing/amazing... I wouldn't be so smitten!!

bazmackem

thinking of this as a pod tank... pop in some water and phyto plankton and seed it and I should be ok... opinions!!?

Oxylebius

Keep in mind that mandarins are also captive bread. The captive bread mandarins learn from the start to eat pellets and other dead food. Wild caught mandarins usually don't adapt to eating pellets and other dead food. Most wild caught mandarins end up starving b/c of this.

Sometimes you won't know if you are buying a captive bread mandarin or not. Here in the states, most of the captive bread mandarins sell for more $$ then wild-caught ones b/c they are already eating pellets and thus have a better survival rate.

Now, there are exceptions to this. But, the exceptions are few and far between. Just b/c someone says that they had been able to get their mandarin to start eating pellets, doesn't mean that you can as well. And there are many more that aren't able to get their mandarin to transition from live food to pellet and end up loosing their mandarins.

I wish you and the fish the best of luck. But, at this point you will need to focus on getting a never ending supply of pods up and running for that fish. It can take a lot of work and time to do so. Many tire of this extra work. Or decide to give the mandarin up (back to the lfs or to someone who knows how to keep them alive w/a larger well established tank).

Sorry I'm such a Debbie Downer here. But, I have seen too many not be able to keep their mandarins alive. And this goes for the little scooter blennies as well.

Oh and that shrimp of yours, it does eat pods and so do the clowns (many fish do). So the mandarin will have competition for food. You may not see the shrimp or clowns eat pods, but the shrimp is doing so as it is in their natural diet. My male clown goes for pods all the time, so yours may as well.

Interesting read offsite here.

bazmackem

Keep in mind that mandarins are also captive bread. The captive bread mandarins learn from the start to eat pellets and other dead food. Wild caught mandarins usually don't adapt to eating pellets and other dead food. Most wild caught mandarins end up starving b/c of this.

Sometimes you won't know if you are buying a captive bread mandarin or not. Here in the states, most of the captive bread mandarins sell for more $$ then wild-caught ones b/c they are already eating pellets and thus have a better survival rate.

Now, there are exceptions to this. But, the exceptions are few and far between. Just b/c someone says that they had been able to get their mandarin to start eating pellets, doesn't mean that you can as well. And there are many more that aren't able to get their mandarin to transition from live food to pellet and end up loosing their mandarins.

I wish you and the fish the best of luck. But, at this point you will need to focus on getting a never ending supply of pods up and running for that fish. It can take a lot of work and time to do so. Many tire of this extra work. Or decide to give the mandarin up (back to the lfs or to someone who knows how to keep them alive w/a larger well established tank).

Sorry I'm such a Debbie Downer here. But, I have seen too many not be able to keep their mandarins alive. And this goes for the little scooter blennies as well.

Oh and that shrimp of yours, it does eat pods and so do the clowns (many fish do). So the mandarin will have competition for food. You may not see the shrimp or clowns eat pods, but the shrimp is doing so as it is in their natural diet. My male clown goes for pods all the time, so yours may as well.

Interesting read offsite here.
Thanks for this mate, yeah it looks like it is going to be a struggle but hopefully I can keep if healthy. I was thinking of keeping a small cheapo tank for breeding pods then transfer them over to main tank. You think this is doable... The link you posted seemed to think it would be? Is there anything I should be looking for to be worried about appearance wise of the fish?

Oxylebius

The fish should have a nice roundness to the central body. Not caved in. And you shouldn't be seeing any spine or rubs outlined. If stomach is caved in or if you can see where the spine or ribs are the fish is too skinny and needs to eat more. The pic you posted on #29 above, looks a bit thin around the middle, I can see bones along the side of the body.

Good luck

bazmackem

Right! I'll def keep an eye on it. Thanks for the advice. He seems to still be pecking a lot at the rock and eating so hopefully will get bigger! I'll def monitor and see how he comes on