Mandarin help

mike1970

im thinking of buying a mandarin goby I need help with copepods. Ok so I just got some tigger copepods to dose my main DT. my tank is around 1 year old rsm250 60lb live rock my question is how long does it take copepods to multiply? Will these pods work for it? Are there better pods? Any help will be appreciated

anarchy

Imo I'd find a place that sells pods that are bigger and get about 2000 of them and then just let them do their thing for about 6 months. After that you should have a good size population that is multiplying and won't be wiped out in a couple weeks.

Not sure how long it takes them to start to reproduce though

ziggy

Diana might be able to advise here.

She started the pod adventure from scratch and has valuable experience for each step. Some folks mention if pods are not to be completely eaten from the DT, they added rubble to there refuge as the continuous breeding source.

Keep us posted on what you decide. I also want to eventually go down this path

akejan

I have had my mandarin in a 31 gallon tank for 6 months. One of the easiest fish that I ever had. It's eating live food in my tank but will occasional take pellets or frosen food.
A very easy fish!

StirCrayzy

Having a pod breeding zone (hotel) in tank is the best answer. There are quite a few writeups around about how to do this with pvc pipe tucked around the backside of rockwork, or tucked in a corner or even under rocks.
Basically a safe haven from predators. I'll try to dig up some links.
A refugium conceptually is this magical place, but the downfall, is pods aren't often free floating creatures and not very many actually make it to the return pump to be fed into the DT for population and feeding. If you keep a shower scrubber down there, it's very easy to shake into the DT once a week or so, and manually transfer them. Or just rotate a rock or two in and out of the fuge.
I've had an abundance of pod growth by using reefcleaners bag of pods every once in a while when I add to the CUC. It adds some variety to the population.

CHEERS to you @mike1970 for asking and researching FIRST !!!
I saw the thread title and assumed the opposite.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I added an in-line refugium that serves well as a copepod & amphipod breeding place. It also grows lots of cheatomorpha which they seem to benefit from.
My refugium keeps my DT supplied with pods, as there is never a time that I can't see lots of pods with use of a magnifying lens. I don't run filter pads that would block their return to my DT.

Still yet, even with a system ready environment....You will need to find a healthy (FAT) not previously malnourished Mandarin. Not every Mandarin you see at the LFS has had a healthy diet :( Some can't recover. The one I got died. :( even tho conditions were very good for it. It's the only fish that I have lost since I have had my currant tank set up.

Mandarins are considered a "difficult" fish to keep because of their feeding habits. You need to decide if you want to worry about them 24/7 before you get one. I personally won't get another one....simply because I don't want the worry of it in my tank. I like easy :D

Still love having a constant pod population for my corals & fish. Without a constant pod eater, I think my whole system stays healthier.
Here's another thread if you missed it:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/green-mandarin.93075/

Oxylebius

As several have already mentioned, establishing a pod population in the tank first before buying the mandarin is a good idea. Then you can re-populate your pod population as needed, every 3 months or 6 months or once a year. With a wrasse in my tank, I've been adding new pods about every 6 months. I've got a healthy mysid population right now.

mike1970

Where is a good place to buy the pods? and do I just wait till lights out turn off all the pumps and add the pods water and all?

ziggy

I think to be somewhat more confidant of a mandarin surviving, one needs to see that it either eats other food regularly (but then requires frequent feedings), or add the PaulB home made Mandarin feeder from his Home Depot electrical tape roll and breed brine shrimp hatchlings, with their egg sac daily. Once the egg sack is absorbed they provide almost no nutritional value.

Oxylebius

Where is a good place to buy the pods? and do I just wait till lights out turn off all the pumps and add the pods water and all?

It is always better to add the pods after the light have been out for a couple of hours and w/pumps off. This allows the pods to find shelter w/o the fish gobbling them up. The reason why you do this is b/c you want to try to get some to find a good home and then start to breed. It helps to sustain your pod population.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you have some chaeto, you can stuff some into a cut open water bottle and hide it behind your rockscape. A makeshift "pod hotel" where they can hide.
Using chaeto in netting works so that it doesn't break off & clog your pumps.
Just a couple of ideas for those who do not have a refugium. :)