Major Caulerpa Brachypus Problem, Help!!

miaskies

Ok, so I purchased a small colony of pink pulsing xenia, it came attached to this colony of caulerpa. I did not think it would be a prob and figured if I get a tang in the future it would have some natural food to eat.

Boy, was I wrong. Over the past few months it has been trying to take over my entire tank. I think I have identified it as caulerpa brachypus or paddle caulerpa? I'll attach photos.

Well any way, I have been manually removing it, but it is creeping up all over my rocks and corals relentlessly. What I need to find out is if anyone has had experience with a tang eating this stuff or any other fish that will eat it? I had a juvenile hippo that would eat anything before, but I want to be sure.

Has anyone had experience with this species? how did you get rid of it? Are there any fish that will eat it for sure? I need help because keeping up with that crap is a pain in the back.

I also need to figure out how to get my xenia off of it and attach it to or get it to attach itself to somewhere else in the tank? I have never attempted to reattach a coral to something, so I need help with this one. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rgfast

as for getting the xenia off the rock not sure but if you put small rock beside it it will attach to it and when the new banch starts growwing I just take rasor blade cut and move.I strarted with one now it five, post your photo of the algee

miaskies

Wow, just as I tried to upload a photo of the crap that is taking over my tank, I think I got a virus from a pic of the stuff that I downloaded.How ironic and horrible. So this is the first time I have been on here in weeks. Well anyways, this green weed is taking over my reef. So I need to know if there are any fish that will eat the stuff?

GrendelPrime

what size tank do u have...never met a tang who didnt love caulerpa so if ur tank is big enough that might be ur best bet coupled with manualy removing

miaskies

I have a 55, but I was thinking that maybe a juvenille tang would be good in there for a little while. I read on another forum that a yellow tang would not eat it. So what is a good small tang that will eat anything?

old1

caulapia contains a poison called cauapin.fish avoid eating it.drop the temp below 78 degrees for a few hours,caulopia are sensative to cold.but don,t waste it take a sprig ove it dry it out over night,then crumpllt it up and sprinkle it on top of water as fish food.poisn is volatile and evaporates with drying.hope this helps.

old1

caulapia contains a poison called cauapin.fish avoid eating it.drop the temp below 78 degrees for a few hours,caulopia are sensative to cold.but don,t waste it take a sprig ove it dry it out over night,then crumpllt it up and sprinkle it on top of water as fish food.poisn is volatile and evaporates with drying.hope this helps