Maintenance reminder

jimeluiz

From the "Do as I say - not as I do" file:

Don't forget to periodically clean out your submersable pumps with a good vinegar and water soaking.

I just stared a $115 replacement pump (incl. shipping) for my Euro Reef skimmer in the eyes. After an overnight soaking - maybe I've got it back in running order.

Fingers crossed.:doh: :dummy: :hammerhea

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Good reminder! I hope yours responds to the cleaning!

Every 6-12 months, I mix a strong bucket of vinegar/water and soak all pumps/ph over a few days (one at a time for a few hours). That way I only use one gallon of vinegar per cleaning.

Cougra

Doni, doyou turn the pumps on when they are soaking in the vinigar buckets or do you take them apart as much as possible and just soak them?
How do you rince them afterwards before adding to the tank?

Personally I plug them in and let the run while in a vinegar solution and rinse them by running them in a bucket of RO water.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I turn them on in the bucket. For rinsing I will run in MY kitchen sink with fresh water for a few minutes. Ahhhh it is good to be the wife! :D

prow

OOOoooooo so thats what the wife is good for :smack:, i might have to get one of those. but i hear they are not always reef safe.:sinking: .....:makefun:

for now i just take mine apart, soak for a few hours. take a Q-tip and tooth brush give them a good scrub. thats it. i do this maybe once every 5-6 months.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
LOL the last time I cleaned my little giant pump it seized upnow its in the "closet of the damned, busted,junkand huh!"

burning2nd

i clean everything in salt water... usely turn out from Wc's

that way some of the stuff on the outside stays alive...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Its true! more of a pack pig mind you, but, when theres an emergency I got spares, they dont work but I got them lol. Steve