Maintaining a steady calcium level!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Woa there trigger!

What is it currently? How much and how long does it change?

What's the level on your newly made salt mix?

Calcium is directly related to other water parameters... what are all of your test results right now?

What size tank do you have and what is in it?
i have all frags at the moment that are growing VERYYY slowly.... my green star polyps is growing out of control same with my green ricordea tho. but my green torches,and zoas wont grow :( i have them for 4 months now and they hadn't grown much at all! they look bright colored under my antics but not growing. but the cora-line doesn't seem to slow down! its literally everywhere! its bright pink and dark purple and its tough to get off the front of tank! i don't know my other parimeters like magnesium or calc or iodine. MY temp is 75.7 my salt level is 1.022 and any other parim like nitrate/ammonia./nitrite are undetectable! but i dont test calc,mag,iodine.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Dont BUY or DOSE anything unless you're testing for it and it's "RELATED" parameters! No need to REALLY screw things up if you don't have to :)

Different corals grow differently in different tanks.

BobBursek

You need to test for Mg, Ca, Alk for sure if Mg is low you will not get Ca up and keep it up. The green polyps is a weed I have it it will smother most SPS's For Ca you can drip or dose Kalk water, but you need to test first, you do not need to test or add Iodine, actually bas to add that if you have shrimp or lobsters, forces them to molt early.

odellous

if ur having trouble maintaining calcium in ur tank, try a korallin calcium reactor. whatever u dose ur tank with, ur protein skimmer will take it right out. i tried milk, kalkwasser, calcium buffers and i still could not maintain 400-450ppm calcium. the highest value i achieved was 350ppm. i added a calcium reactor and my tank is now around 430ppm. u also need a controller to regulate it. total cost...about $750. its worth it in the long run!!! good luck.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
green torches,and zoas wont grow

Zoanthids don't need calcium to grow and the Torches need to be fed if you want to see quick growth from them, try target feeding them with zooplankon.

You need to test for Mg, Ca, Alk for sure if Mg is low you will not get Ca up and keep it up.

Ditto !

jjohnson3

When I had my torch I fed it brine shrimp when I fed my fish. They seemed to like it and grew a little bit I think...

chipmunkofdoom2

We still haven't seen test results.. to really know where to begin to help you we NEED test results. You say you don't test for calcium.. don't take this the wrong way, but why are you worried about it then?

If you don't have a ton of stoney corals, regular water changes will maintain your calc/alk/mag right where it should be.

mps9506

You say you don't test for calcium.. don't take this the wrong way, but why are you worried about it then?

Ditto...
Do NOT start dosing Calcium, alkalinity buffer or magnesium unless you are testing for these levels. You run a great chance of screwing up your levels badly.

This article will give you starter infor on what needs to be supplemented, what levels you need and links to how to do it.
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

funkpolice

as posted before, lack of growth in your particular corals has little to do with calcium levels. Zoas need stability. Find a spot with the proper current and light, which is different for different zoas, and let them be. I've had frags do nothing for 6 months, then take off and start growing like crazy once they are settled in. Torch corals don't grow very fast unless you feed them, so don't sweat it. If your corraline is growing well I would say your calcium is fine, but nobody can know that unless you run some test. Patience, not meddling, will bring the best results.
bill

as posted before, lack of growth in your particular corals has little to do with calcium levels. Zoas need stability. Find a spot with the proper current and light, which is different for different zoas, and let them be. I've had frags do nothing for 6 months, then take off and start growing like crazy once they are settled in. Torch corals don't grow very fast unless you feed them, so don't sweat it. If your corraline is growing well I would say your calcium is fine, but nobody can know that unless you run some test. Patience, not meddling, will bring the best results.
bill

thanks for summing it all up :yummy: