Magnesium, an important part of the BIG picture !

jeffrey

For the last four months I've struggled with diatom and brown string algae. I've read countless books and articles on many forums about algae problems and have tried everything suggested to clear the water. I've added one snail per gallon of water, I do 10% water changes every week, changed out the 10 T5 bulbs, added a phosphate reactor, purchased a 5 stage RO/DI system, added a sand sifting star fish and two emerald crabs but none of this would slow down the diatom / brown algae from growing. I test my water constantly and have had LFS's test my water to try to figure out what I was doing wrong, they would always say that everything looks good. Maybe your running your lights too long or maybe your over feeding your fish, lights always run for eight hours and I spot feed the fish with the power heads turned off.

In the beginning I was told that when using a certain salt I would only have to check and dose for calcium and alkalinity between water changes because the salt had the proper amount of magnesium in it. Those of us new to the hobby seek the advice of the experienced and believe what we are told is the truth.

Here is the truth, no salt mix is going to maintain your magnesium level, without the proper magnesium level your calcium and alkalinity will constantly have to be dosed. A guy over at Reef Tank Forum explained it perfectly, "Magnesium is the key to keeping the other levels correct, you can't just maintain the two. Here's a simple visual, if you think of Calcium and Alkalinity as each being on ends of a seesaw then magnesium would be the balance point in the center. Without magnesium being correct, you will have trouble getting the other levels where they need to be."

After getting my magnesium in line the calcium and alkalinity are both holding strong and within 4 days the diatom / brown algae has vanished. I've learned a great deal and have also spent a great deal on products and books that more than likely weren't needed. Good to have but the wife isn't smiling anymore if you know what I mean.

I hope this little post helps all of you who have struggled with algae problems as I have. Removing the phosphates alone is not the key when your magnesium is out of whack !

Happy Reefing !

Acanman

Do can i get my mg levels down? Mine have been over 1500 x 4 months. I changed to instant ocean plain salt mix 2 moths ago. Still no decrease. I use 2 diff test kits-salifert and red sea. Any suggestions? Ca steady at 450. Alk steady at 10. I use an auto doser with B-ionic 2 part. I used mg dosing eery other day which is what started this mess.

jeffrey

Do can i get my mg levels down? Mine have been over 1500 x 4 months. I changed to instant ocean plain salt mix 2 moths ago. Still no decrease. I use 2 diff test kits-salifert and red sea. Any suggestions? Ca steady at 450. Alk steady at 10. I use an auto doser with B-ionic 2 part. I used mg dosing eery other day which is what started this mess.

Water changes should eventually bring it down for you.

Choff

My mg sits I the high 1400s consistently and I don't dose. My other oatms mirror yours as well acan. I just do 10pct water changes with io reef crystals.

Is high mg an issue? Not sure if I should be concerned or not

Low mag is the issue of the initial post. If your mag is low, then your CA will bind an precipitate out instead of feeding your corals as well as cause a drop in Alk.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

jeffrey

My mg sits I the high 1400s consistently and I don't dose. My other oatms mirror yours as well acan. I just do 10pct water changes with io reef crystals.

Is high mg an issue? Not sure if I should be concerned or not

Low mag is the issue of the initial post. If your mag is low, then your CA will bind an precipitate out instead of feeding your corals as well as cause a drop in Alk.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I would guess that you are OK if that is where you have always been, the suggested level is 1350 ppm.

Acanman

Im having unexplained sps coral bleaching and high mg is beginning to be the lone suspect. I switched from reef salt mix to instant ocean plain salt cuz no added junk thus no mg. but still cant get it down. At least high levels dont mess with ca or alk.

jeffrey

Im having unexplained sps coral bleaching and high mg is beginning to be the lone suspect. I switched from reef salt mix to instant ocean plain salt cuz no added junk thus no mg. but still cant get it down. At least high levels dont mess with ca or alk.

Sorry to hear about the coral bleaching from what I have read high nitrates can be a cause.
Recent Lighting change, Temperature change, and Salinity change can also put a stress on corals.

jeffrey

Here's some more good info that has helped me as I struggled to understand water readings.
The suggested levels are... Calcium 420, Alkalinity 9 dkh and Magnesium 1350 ppm.
I think the Hanna testers are super exspensive but they take the guess work out of the hobby. I started using them and wish I had them months ago!

i-Mr3k29j-L.jpg
i-GQFrfLQ-L.jpg
i-QL7bffC-L.jpg

Choff

Love my Hannah alk and phosphate. Not a fan of the calcium at all.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
yeah the calcium one is difficult. wish I would have go the alk instead.