Lynn's frag tank experiment

lcstorc

OK, I feel really stupid on this one but I am honestly unsure of what to do.
I am setting up a frag tank. It is a totally separate tank and is not attached to any of the other tanks at all. I have a 150w light, the tank (I don't even know how big it is.) and as many power heads as anybody could possibly want as well as enough eggcrate, pvc, frag plugs and other misc frag supplies.
What filtration do I need on this tank? I bought a skimmer for it, but now I don't think I even need that. As the plan stands now, there will be no fish in the system. You know how this hobby is so I will keep it around for the inevitible fish that will land there someday.
I am going to want to run carbon since I have a lot of leathers but I have an extra Phosban reactor I can use for that.
What else do I need. Should I get a HOB filter of some kind? I can't think of a need to cycle but now I am second guessing myself.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Re: new frag tank

Filtration? Why no skimmer? It can't hurt.... even though I'm NOT running one on my frag tank.

You may want a small fish in there just for "House Keeping". I've got a 6line in mine and it's awesome :)

lcstorc

Well I was going to go ahead and run the skimmer since I have it, but do I need LR or another filter material? Do I need a HOB.
I am probably overthinking here but I am going to have to feed the corals occasionally since they are in a fishless system so I need to have some biological filtration somewhere. Don't I?
I am not expecting a cycle but maybe I am wrong there as well.
The more I think the more I go in circles.
(Typical for me)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

*watches you go in circles and laughs*

Here is what I "think" I would do with my tank if I were doing it again today...

• A) No rock
  • B) minimal sand bed (if any)
  • C) HOB filter/Skimmer
  • D) Acrylic/Pyrex racks (no more egg-crate)
  • E) LED lights (Or really good T5's)

I'm not saying this is the BEST design but it's the things I believe I would incorporate now after having that tank up for a couple of years.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM

LR will help IMO. It will give you a bio filter. I know its just a frag tank, but some mineralization may occur. The pods that will develop will help create zooplankton for the frags to eat

I think a skimmer is a good idea as a safety net, and to keep the water saturated with O2

my two cents

lcstorc

So, you say HOB or skimmer.
In that case all I need is the bulb that will get here tomorrow and water.
I think I am going to look in the garage for an old HOB filter we may have lying around or even go buy one. Somehow it just seems wrong to have nothing.
Well, I have lots of kenya tree frags to put in and test. I have a forest of the darn things in the reef. I guess I'll add some water and give it a try. One day without a light is not going to hurt kenya trees.

lcstorc

I think I am going to grab a rock or two out of my fuge. I have a bunch of base rock that has been there forever and I believe a piece or two are nice and flat. I could just lay them down as kind of a base and put the frags on them or around them.
It may not actually help anything other than my paranoid brain but it's not like I have to go buy and cycle rock.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

I think if I use rock in a Frag Tank I'll drill it out for Frag Plugs. I need to finda link to where I saw that recently... Looks really cook and utilizes the rock into the system for more than just filtration :)

lcstorc

Now that makes perfect sense.
Al, Frank is not going to be happy with you. :)
I now have an official plan. I just have to sweet talk him into drilling some rocks for me.
Actually, I don't have to wait for him. I can get him to drill on the weekend but get everything else done tomorrow.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Now that makes perfect sense.
Al, Frank is not going to be happy with you. :)
I now have an official plan. I just have to sweet talk him into drilling some rocks for me.
Actually, I don't have to wait for him. I can get him to drill on the weekend but get everything else done tomorrow.

Now now! Frank and I are PALS! We did MACNA-XX together!

Of all the things you COULD ask for "drilling the rock" shouldn't be the hardest of them. Plus once he's done doing that "you'll OWE him" and I'm sure he's all over that :D

Take LOTS of pics! Before during and after :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Here's a link to something I was thinking about

FS-5.JPG

lcstorc

I'm not sure why I didn't think of it since that is what we did with that fake rocks with the magnets. We drilled holes in that for frag plugs but with the light pattern of the Solaris it wouldn't really work for us. I was already planning to use that one but hadn't thought to do the same with the live rock.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

I'm not sure why I didn't think of it since that is what we did with that fake rocks with the magnets. We drilled holes in that for frag plugs but with the light pattern of the Solaris it wouldn't really work for us. I was already planning to use that one but hadn't thought to do the same with the live rock.

See you were half way already there :) You just needed a "nudge" in the right direction.

I wont use egg-crate any more for anything visible in my tanks. rock/Acrylic and that's it for me :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

As mentioned it tends to be a good "anchor point" for nuisance algae. I've tested both white and painted and both seem to attract film algae like a magnet.

Raoul5Duke

If you have time I would be interested in seeing some pics of a simple set up like this. I have a 10 gal, my old PC lights and a skilter (don't laugh!) that I have considered using for a simple softie (maybe LPS) frag tank, but thinking is as far as I have gotten. Thanks.

lcstorc

As always, mr logic (hubby) stepped in and the project is on hold for a week or so. I burned my hand last week and the blisters are still healing so he doesn't want me in the tank and defintely not in the fuge. I have been good so far keeping the hand out of the tank (because I did it once and it hurt) but I wasn't thinking about needing both hands to set up the frag tank.
I hate when he is right.
Someday this project will get done. I swear. It seems like I have been working on it forever but we finally built the stand, and cleaned the tank and have the skimmer and power heads in the tank. The bulb for the light will be here today so hopefully I can get him to do it for me this weekend or the hand should be better in a week or so.
Grrr

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

KUDOS to Mr Logic! You don't want any open wounds in there at all.

No need to rush anything. Get it right and don't get sick over it. You'd have a terrible time enjoying your frag tank with a nasty infection going on!

Tell Frank HOWDY from NC :D