Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm using a "Whisper10"

Honestly if I were to do it over again I'd get at least 2x bigger but I was going under the impression less was more. WRONG! More is MORE!!

PSBoston

Hey Guys, if I get some time this weekend I may try to set mine up. I started running bio-pellets about 3 months ago and I am still being over run by GFO and now Cyano is back in full effect. The GHA has stopped growing, but not receding yet. I was going to start running GFO again (I stopped to get the bio pellets running). Would you suggest running the GFO to see if I get some results that way or hold off and go with the Scrubber first?

Also, do you guys use a valve or anything to prevent back siphon in case of power loss? That is my biggest concern since I don't have a great place to put the pump.

Thanks as always!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think you want to run GFO and the UAS at the same time. Normally I would have said go GFO but after seeing just how much GHA grew inside the UAS I have to say I'm a believer and would suggest this route. Right now my biggest problem is the GHA in my tank that seems to be dying out is clogging my black sponge and collecting on my powerhead. I'm NOT complaining just making an observation :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Do you have any suggestions for the best manufacturer for making these?

Honestly I don't have a clue. Just make sure the "attaching Magnets" are strong enough for slightly thicker glass.... I had to add several more (provided by SantaMonica directly) to make a decent connection on my RSM130D.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
I've had mine up for 7 days, and this morning I am now just beginning to see some film on mine

One thing that is similar to skimmers, is that a scrubber only performs based on what is in the water. For a scrubber, it's nutrients. So if you don't have that much N and P in the water, then the scrubber won't kick in heavily. You can increase growth, generally, by flowing more water by the screen, using more bubbles, decreasing hours of light, moving the screen farther away from the light, and possibly adding iron.

Would you suggest running the GFO to see if I get some results that way or hold off and go with the Scrubber first?

GFO will always slow the screen growth.

do you guys use a valve or anything to prevent back siphon in case of power loss?

Keeping the air pump above the waterline is a fail-proof way.

make sure the "attaching Magnets" are strong enough

We are now using 5mm N45 magnets, instead of 4mm N42. Any stronger, and people with thin 1/8" glass won't be able to get them apart :O

However, just added this week are the new suction cup versions which work on any thickness (although, you can't slide them across the glass, and you have to reach into the water to remove them).

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like TWO good upgrades!!

FWIW I'm really enjoying my UAS :) It's making a TON of nasty green stuff every week. I probably need to check it today.

StirCrayzy

Lets see the pics Al ! Its been days...
Didnt you catalog your cleaning?????? :eek:

I love seeing a UAS at work, although im on the waterfall bandwagon myself.

On a side note, HEY Bill, have you tuned your sump version, or still in the funk of the other happenings?

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Lets see the pics Al ! Its been days...
Didnt you catalog your cleaning?????? :eek:

I love seeing a UAS at work, although im on the waterfall bandwagon myself.

On a side note, HEY Bill, have you tuned your sump version, or still in the funk of the other happenings?

I've tweaked it several different ways. I just cant get it to grow on the screen only. It grows on the sides of the sump faster than the screen. Then, the screen can't get as much light, and it grows even slower. Plus when i scrape the walls, i have sheets of algae free floating in my sump that I can't get out. Some get diced in the skimmer pumps, some get blown into the DT by the return. I'm thinking this is an LED only application. You just can't control the light spread of the CF on this type. On the 350, I think I'm gonna recycle stuff into a waterfall style.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
If your DIY version grows a lot on the glass, and you don't build a box to contain it, then you can use a towel in a "one-motion-upwards" wipe, to get the algae off without it spreading.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
If your DIY version grows a lot on the glass, and you don't build a box to contain it, then you can use a towel in a "one-motion-upwards" wipe, to get the algae off without it spreading.

This might work. But mine is almost that whole wall of the sump. So its a lot of algae. I think I'm just gonna go waterfall until I rig up some LEDs...

....H20 incapable....

cheely13

Ok guys ive been following along and now i made my own UAS have a few question though.

1. im using 4 T5's right now 2 daylight 2 antic should i get 2 more daylight ones and what output do you recommend.

2. should i leave them on 24 hrs a day or have a off time.

Thank you for any help i can get and hope i can grow some algae

redneckgearhead

Ok guys ive been following along and now i made my own UAS have a few question though.

1. im using 4 T5's right now 2 daylight 2 antic should i get 2 more daylight ones and what output do you recommend.

They make a grow bulb for plants for t5 fixtures. I know some use those. I don't think the actinics will do anything to promote algae growth.

Yes, you need off time. I'd go 16 hours on a day to start.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to Scott. Actinic won't really help any in this situation. It wont "hurt" but there are other bulbs better suited for growing "Algae".

cheely13

Thanks Scott i didnt even think about grow bulbs ill get some today. I cut my lights back to 16 hrs too. Thank you guys again this might be the first and only time im exited to grow algae.

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor

1)The 660nm red LED works the best, since algae absorb red light. The light need to be 1 watt per square inch of the screen.

2)You need to have off time for algae to grow. A good starting point is 8 hours per day for your first week. Once the middle of the screen is no longer white, increase the hours by 2 per day the next week. If the middle of the screen continues to grow good, increase the hours by 2 more per day for the week after that. 18 hours per day will give the best filtering once thick growth appears on the white screen.

StirCrayzy

1w led per sq in seems like too much, maybe just misleading?
, i dont know how possible, but a ratio of driven wattage vs coverage area (viewing angle : mounting distance) would be the only accurate estimating tool for LED use.

TylerHaworth

I'm getting as much or more growth on my glass than I am on my screen with my HOG.5...

I have, however, still been getting a little bit of burn in the center of my screen - I'm currently knocking an hour per day off each week and I think the full cover of green should be back by this week or next... Maybe when this is resolved the glass growth will subside and all growth will be on the screen.

I'm still getting quite a bit of algal growth in the display tank even though N&P read zero. I've significantly beefed up the CUC, and have been running fresh carbon/gfo 24-7... Thinking about bringing my 9002 back online. I've never had major algae problems in any of my tanks, but I think it's just a coincidence that my first algae scrubber tank is my first problem tank. I will say, though, that I have had absolutely zero Cyano which I have had small bouts with in all previous systems.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Move the screen back so it is flat against the black cover. Use a hairdryer to heat the screen so it will stay. Or just glue it.

Also make holes on the other side of the bubble shell, like the ones already on the first side.

The more water flow, and the further away the screen, the more it will grow. If it has a bald spot, it is not growing and you have no filtering.