Lowering Nitrates?

SeahorseBT

I recently purchased a 120. We drained the tank and moved it to my house and put all the live rock back in. We still needed more LR so we got some from a fish only tank with live rock that was being broken down.The 120 has been running for three weeks and I had a nitrate spike of about 60ppm. That has come down to 40 for the last 2 weeks. I am trying to determine the cause of the spike because I didn't think I would have a full cycle because it wasn't like I was starting from scratch.

As far as the cause, I think it came from the LR that was in the fish only tank. Maybe it had high nitrates and now they are precipitating out.Is that possible? My question is, if I do water changes now, will the nitrates go down or will the nitrates keep precipitating out? Thanks in advance, Blake.

mettjl03

I think the levels should drop if you keep doing water changes. What are the rest of your tests reading?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think the levels should drop if you keep doing water changes. What are the rest of your tests reading?
I do believe you're correct.

Water changes (on a newly set-up tank) is the key to getting the down. Once you get them down you can lower your water change quantity and frequency to more maintain it as your tank produces it. See my signature for my "Magical" Nitrate Reduction formula :)

If you have a DSB, the nitrate can be converted into nitrogen.

It takes time for the DSB to mature enough to be able to even remotely count for it to finish the Nitrogen Cycle. Water Changes are your best way of reducing and maintaining them at this stage of the game.

yungreefer2410

i would try a wc and see if that helps. i'm sure blake knows how to reduce nitrates. his question to me was that if it is possible for trates to leak out of liverock that was in a fish only tank that had high nitrates. i would say yes it is possible

novanosis

Well then, I dont see any reason to panic, let it cycle wait for the "mature" DSB.

I dont see why he added livestock already, just got the tank.

Anyways have a read here, DSB is key. Deep Sand Beds

SeahorseBT

I did NOT add live stock already Nick. I have 2-3 inches of sand depending on the spot so I think that is enough sand. Yes, like Cole said, I know how to lower nitrates, I was just wondering if the rock could release nitrates if it was in a system with high nitrates. I guess I'll try a water change and see what happens. I really need to start thinking about a rodi unit. I have a lot of tanks going....