low light corals???

michael_cb_125

Some mushrooms, and some polyps. But not all will do well under just florescents. There are many sites that give good information on specific corals needs. Are there any corals that you really like, then we can tell you if they wil work for you.~Michael

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The sun Coral is a Non-photosynthetic coral but it comes with a drawback.. because it's NON-photosynthetic it requires direct hand feeding every few days. That's not a big deal t first but then it gets to be a pain to have to feed each polyp and fight off any fish or shrimp that want to be greedy little pigs.

stick with mushrooms and some zoas and I think you'll be much better off. also if you note exactly what lights you have (wattage etc) and what size tank we may be able to make a little bit more accurate suggestions.

corrado007

What type of fluorescents? Are you referring to power compacts,VHO, ... and how many? I have 4 65W PCs (2x actinic and 2x 10,000k) on my 90gal and I'm able to keep many soft corals like mushrooms, toadstool, kenya trees, xenias, zoas, and so on. I also keep GSP (green star polyps) and some LPS like frogspawn, trumpet corals, and stuff like that. Depending on the lighting needs of the coral you can move them up or down in the tank. You likely won't have success with SPS with fluorescent lighting of any type but most softies and many LPS (likely placed near the top) should do just fine. There's also a book called Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimek that's really helpful in answering questions on lighting and flow needs of coral along with aggressiveness and so on. I hope that helps a little.
Good Luck!
Justin

revhard05

i have smaller tank it is a 20 long, with a 1X20w actinic ( hagens marine glo) and 1x20w 18,000k ( hagens power glo)

my uncle has a 90 with, a large frogspawn , large hammer head, and some candy coral, and some leathers and shrooms,

This week end he gave me few frags, of shrooms and some polyps, and he gave me of what looks like a some kind of leather.

JamesBryan

Able to live.
Able to grow.
Able to reproduce.

Different qualities of life for a coral. Those Hagen lights would do fine with standard red or blue discosomas (mushrooms). Green Stripes in my limited experience need more light but will still live and grow in your set up. A 20 L is not tall at all once you get corals on top of some rocks. Some Button corals will live too. Reproduction will probably be slow. Which may be a good thing for you. Depends on your goals.

I have had mushrooms and buttons fall behind rocks and stay there for several months. When I rearranged, there they were! The Button's were not in the best shape, but the mushrooms seemed ok, although smaller. The mushrooms perked up once they were moved in front of the rock wall.