Looking forward to new friends

Techno-Vicki

Craig - Ahhhh......karma.....I like that:)

Lynn - I will keep you posted. I see that many people on this site are from all over the country, and of those several do not suffer the heat expenses. I would have waited as well, but needed the immediate financial relief. With electric bills running over $700.00, I had to do something drastic.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Could you get someone to test the light's output (par meter?) now and again in a year? ... and every year thereafter?? :D That info would be most helpful in determining the actual longevity of the LEDs.

Very nice reef indeed!

Techno-Vicki

Woodstock, yes, that is my intent to measure the PAR. PFO has made some pretty heafty claims regarding their par, but watching my corals with the H4, I believe them. I propagate pulsing xenias for the LFS here. I found that they did not grow well under 14 or 20 K MH's but did fine under my 10 K; however, not at the bottom of the tank. With my PFO H4, they grow well even at the bottom. They don't grow well top and side because there is no light due to the angle of the light.

Kathy with birds What kind of birds? My parents use to raise hookbills, now they just have a scarlet macaw. I am glad to see so many women on this forum. I used to be one of two.

Blue Eyes, BHinAK, & Bluespot jawfish Thank you all for the welcome. The tank will grow and grow because the boyfired is helping me to move the 125 up to a 180. We will take that one slowly.

bluespotjawfish

Yip, saw the upgrade coming from a mile away. Have fun with that project! Of course you will need to keep the 125 too. Think about it....

PS - My pom xenias are growing like crazy at the bottom of my 125 tank under 250 HQI bulbs (14k).

Techno-Vicki

My pink xenia grow well there, just not the elongias. I picked up some pom poms about 4 months ago and they melted:bouncebox . They seem more like my pink ones. I am getting more excited about the 180. We are having a custom tank built. When we get going, I will post the progress. We hope to order it in the next couple of weeks. Keep the one twenty, hummmmm.....Let's see, I have a 90 preditor tank with a beautiful lion, majestic angle, clown tank, large red hermits and a blue lobster. I have a couple more thoughts to add. Mom's 175, well, her care is not what I would like, and I can't do it all, so it has quite a bit of room for imporovement. Then there is the prop tank, we finally got that just hmming - love it. It's about 70 gal but it has a unique structure. Then there is my 24 sitting right here by my computer, the 12 gal nano QT in the bedroom and of course my 125. If I keep it, it will be to cure rock. That is a whole other project I will talk about as I go:smirk:

Well, I am off to the coast for 5 days with the boyfriend & his son, the dogs and lots of friends. I will talk to you all later. Again, I am very excited to be here:wave:

vdituri

Welcome aboard Techno Vicki!
Yes, you are home and this is the site you were looking for.
Where have you been and why are you late getting here? lol
Love the tank(s) and the corals.
Here's some karma to get you going.

Techno-Vicki

vdituri - yes, lol, I can be slow at times. This is home and thank you for the Karma.
Icstorc - I need to put together a 'tank' page on my site. I will have it up by Wednesday at the latest. I have pics on the 175's set up (it has onlly been up for a few months. I have learned a lot about plumbing as the boyfriend Jack set it up. Very interesting design, we put the sump and major plumbing in a room outside and drilled holes through the wall. The sump and pump are under ground for 2 reasons: first, the room holding the tank is in a sunken living room, so to drain properly we had to go that route, but second, we liked to idea of natural cooling. I will get those posted as well.
Craig - I go to Morro Bay twice a year with my fifth wheel. For a week right after Christmas and another 8 to 10 days in the summer. It was wonderful and very relaxing. The only trouble we encountered is when my mom convinced my dad that the utube needed to be glued to the return in the overflow box. Jack had fun with that one when he came home early. ya just gotta laugh.

lcstorc

You should set up a chronicle thread here. Then we can all learn from your successes.
Isn't it funny how we all suddenly have to learn plumbing in this hobby. I just had yet another lesson when connecting my Phosban reactors. Seems like every piece of equipment I buy means I get a plumbing lesson and often an electrical lesson. I insist if there is room in the power strip then I can just plug it in and if there isn't room I can just add another power strip onto that one. . I get scolded frequently and now am not allowed to plug anything in. Fortunately my husband does understand this stuff far better than I do or I would have either flooded the house or burned it down. :)

Techno-Vicki

Lynn, I am glad to hear you husband is so patient and helpful lol; I had to have my dad redo my wiring because I kept throwing the breaker, and of course, I had a couple of winner floods before understanding the whole siphon process. I will chronicle the 180 on a new thread. I should be ordering it next week. We are designing it so that the overflows are under the dark area on the LED light, placed in the center of the tank, but not equal distance from the side. I want to make and build my rockwork (like GARF) to fit around them and the returns so that it has a very natural feel. I think every tank is a learning process and a whole lot of fun!:whstlr:

lcstorc

Lynn, I am glad to hear you husband is so patient and helpful lol; I had to have my dad redo my wiring because I kept throwing the breaker, and of course, I had a couple of winner floods before understanding the whole siphon process. I will chronicle the 180 on a new thread. I should be ordering it next week. We are designing it so that the overflows are under the dark area on the LED light, placed in the center of the tank, but not equal distance from the side. I want to make and build my rockwork (like GARF) to fit around them and the returns so that it has a very natural feel. I think every tank is a learning process and a whole lot of fun!:whstlr:

Not so good on the patient part but he sure can be helpful. Usually the education is to prevent me from doing something really bad, I have learned more and more though. Just because I do the tank research etc so I tell him what I am trying to accomplish and we work it out.

Can't wait to see the 180. I am sure it will be awesome. ARe you going to use some LR as well or just the DIY rock? From what I hear the garf is safe but someone here a while back made a different kind of DIY rock and it messed with his PH big time. I'll see if I can find the thread.

I love the learning process of the reef. Though sometimes it gets really challenging.

Techno-Vicki

Yes, Jack keeps me from really big mistakes, but he really has to convince me first before I agree with him. It works.

I will be using MOSTLY artificial rockwork, but some of my larger pieces are on live rock as well as my zoas, rics, and a few others, plus they are seeded. I have spent quite a bit of time reading up on the GARF method and I will not alter their formula. The cement can cure in the creek in my back yard so that will really help with the need to have fresh water daily. I do want to start with almost entirely new sand though. Jack can get me a really good price on 40 lb bags of LS. I will use some of my old sand bed to seed it though.