Looking for your lighting opinions

carmexx

I currently have a 57 rimless reef ready. I am running 2 hydras over it and as funny as it may seem i took it one step further today and added 2 39wx2 T5's. My thinking was first to try and cut down on the "disco effect" and two, supplement for some needed color.
I am really looking for opinions on the latter.....color or wavelength. I have read that the hydras are missing some key wavelengths. I'm just wondering if that is true. Now I can add that t5 wavelength in or maybe get some nice color.

Here's a pic....

I want to hear those suggestions! I am going to get bulbs this week.
Thanks for looking.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey Ryan,
I believe you are rights. They are not full spectrum. I think the Vegas and 52's are. Supplementing with t5 is great and you'll want to get bulbs that don't severely overlap with you current spectrum. I would definitely run an actinic build and the look at the others for color. Coral or blue plus along with the purple (all ati) are good.

carmexx

It's funny you say that. Right now I have a kz Fiji purple and an actinic in it. They are old bulbs though. Thank you for your input. Keep me coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

Here is AI's web page on Hydra specs (offsite) - http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/hydra/hydra.html

Considering the spectrum they put out and that all the colors are individually adjustable, I can't see any requirement for supplementing the Hydras with T5s. The spectrum optput by the Hydras is seems to be good with a lot of added blue, violet and near UV.

I use them over my 125 gal reef without issues.

You don't tell us the dimensions of the tank. It might be that you should be using more Hydra fixtures. I found that one (original) Hydra was good for about 12 x 18 inches, if you want to mount the lights close to the water surface. Most LED fixtures tend to want to send the light straight down, so you sometimes need more fixtures if you want to avoid dark corners.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Dave is right, the hydra is the full spectrum one. They use 80 degree lenses which don't provide a lot if spread so you could need additional units.

I still like the t5 supplement though but you could prob remove the actinic since the fixture has it. Run a coral/blue/purple plus combos

carmexx

Well I went ahead with giesemann bulbs. Looking good.! I have them on for 4 hours at peak of day. Now 1 other question...
I hardwired the ballast to the ac plug and have it controlled by my RKE. I want to put a quick disconnect between the fixture and the ballast so if i need to service the light for any reason i can just unplug it. I'm looking for a 4 wire connector that handles regular 110 VAC. Any suggestions?