logging my journey with my first salt tank

blackwater

guess i'll keep an eye out and see if i catch them in the act of the crime. the shells left behind are way too big for the crabs though. if it is the crabs that sucks cause i liked watching them. are there other kinds of crab that don't do this?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Let's face it dude. U have to add to the cuc every now n then. Enjoy life.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

Brady92

You could always make a display fuge on the side of your tank for them :) just planting the idea lol

I Love Living In Japan

There's no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole

Stretch

The nassarius snails are GREAT scavengers. Most likely the snails just died and the nassarius cleaned it up. I will definitely be adding a bunch of nassarius snails!

engineer goby

The nassarius snails are GREAT scavengers. Most likely the snails just died and the nassarius cleaned it up. I will definitely be adding a bunch of nassarius snails!

I love them, my favorite cuc. I also like the blue leg hermits. Turbos and Emeralds, lets not talk about them

blackwater

I had a similar issue and someone pointed out that they may be whelks and not nassarius vibex.

Beware the Whelk | Reefs.com

i'll post a good clear pic tonight, but i sure they are nassarius snails. thanks for that link. oh i should mention that i have two diff kinds of nassarius, ones that are all white'ish and larger ones that are orange spotted on their shells and black/brown on the snail body.

blackwater

here are pics of the orange spot nassarius snails

2012-08-16194721.jpg

2012-08-11185414.jpg

2012-08-11185346.jpg

don't have any pics of the other kind, they hide'n in the sand.

blackwater

just got a pic of the other one (normal, plain nassarius snail?)

2012-08-16200722.jpg

any chance either of these snails are not what i think they r?

blackwater

i looked up the six line wrasse on reefaquaria. nice looking fish:eek:lsmile: i have heard they can be jumpers though, my tank has no top on it so guess i'd be taking a chance getting one or i gotta make a screen cover? whats your guys and gals take on this fish?
i'll be going out sunday for more snails(replace the murdered one's)and maybe a fish. just trying to decide what fish to get before i go.

Tru2nr

They r hardy. Only issue I have with damsels is how aggressive they are.

They also are nice looking when young but grow up to be ugly terrors

...im growing a reef not reefer!

Tru2nr

i looked up the six line wrasse on reefaquaria. nice looking fish:eek:lsmile: i have heard they can be jumpers though, my tank has no top on it so guess i'd be taking a chance getting one or i gotta make a screen cover? whats your guys and gals take on this fish?
i'll be going out sunday for more snails(replace the murdered one's)and maybe a fish. just trying to decide what fish to get before i go.

Just make a screen...i love wrasses and you need a screen for them

...im growing a reef not reefer!

Brady92

It's easy I've never done it for aquarium use but I've made them for windows plenty of times

I Love Living In Japan

There's no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole

dmatt88

Just build a 1x1 wooden frame. Wrap the screen around the top n staple. Wha la.

Choff

Couple of inches of barbed wire around the top will do the job and give your tank a unique look at the same time

Sent from my VZ Galaxy S3 w/funky fresh unlocked bootloader using Tapatalk 2

Stretch

Couple of inches of barbed wire around the top will do the job and give your tank a unique look at the same time

Sent from my VZ Galaxy S3 w/funky fresh unlocked bootloader using Tapatalk 2

Might as well just go with razor wire :D