logging my journey with my first salt tank

blackwater

checked at work and the screen we got is black and very fine, its screen door screen. looking for more like quarter inch square screen/netting, and want it see through. that way it won't block much light and won't cast shadows.

Tru2nr

You will want plastic netting, not fiberglass based for long term success, Six-lines tend to have a napoleon complex if they are not one of the last fish added to the tank. You will want to look into like cardinals, dottybacks, royal gramma is always a good choice, or chromises, or firefish

blackwater

i think it will be the last fish. after adding the wrasse i will have 3 fish. anymore than that might be to much for the size of tank that i have. unless others think its safe to have more then i would gladly get more and reconsider getting the wrasse this sun.

blackwater

what r some suggested filter medias for a hob filter(ac50). as i don't have a sump or canister filter i think i should be using something for mechanical filtration. i have 2 diff sizes of ac hob filters that im not using and want to. just not sure what media to use. sponge, carbon bag? not sure what is commonly used in a reef tank.(have no coral yet but plan on getting some).

Tru2nr

I would run a phos removing pad in one and a carbon pad in the other IMO....i would say you could add yourself a couple of fire fish or cardinals since they are not big swimmers as they tend to be more stationary...i prefer bangaii cardinals...and then add the six line

...im growing a reef not reefer!

blackwater

the bangaii are real nice. when u say run phos in one and carbon in the other r we talking about running both the hob's or just putting both in one? the basket for media n the ac's can hold a few diff things if u stack them or put them in beside each other.

blackwater

lost another trochus snail today. is there any way to guesstemate their age? maybe they just old and die, then the feeding frenzy begins. this makes 3 in about one week. going out tomorrow to replenish the ranks and might get that bangaii. cleaner shrimp...yae or nae? will get some carbon and phos pads as well. and gonna put together a small water station. love sundays.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
[SUP][/SUP]
lost another trochus snail today. is there any way to guesstemate their age? maybe they just old and die, then the feeding frenzy begins. this makes 3 in about one week. going out tomorrow to replenish the ranks and might get that bangaii. cleaner shrimp...yae or nae? will get some carbon and phos pads as well. and gonna put together a small water station. love sundays.

I love cleaner shrimp but for some reason they always check out around 6 months time on me.

blackwater

suggested pump model for mixing about 10-20gallons of water and then pumping it out into other containers. right now i use a power head but just relized tonight that it sucks. mixes the water good but then i have to syphon it from the mixing bin into my smaller containers.

blackwater

found a little critter, is see through/ kind white. very small like half an inch or so. i ve seen it jump out of the rocks and steel a pellet before. here's a few pics

2012-08-18202249.jpg

2012-08-18202213.jpg

2012-08-18202304.jpg

ideas?

blackwater

i watched my zebra crab go for a ride on top of a trochus snail. didn't hurt it just went for a ride to the next rock over, then got off and went their separate ways.

blackwater

so im back from the lfs. looked at the fish....love the bangaii and the six line wrasse. got some supplies but didn't buy any live stock. second guessed my self at the last minute and will wait a little longer before adding more. think in a couple weeks i'll get a bangaii then a couple more weeks later the sixline wrasse, and that will be it for live stock. by that time i'll have my new lights and can start buying coral.....if all goes well lol. thanx to all for the help with what fish i could get.

Stretch

Good call dude. It never hurts to wait on something. Don't rush and it all works out. :thumbup:

blackwater

oh fun fact. last night i caused my first flood:smack: forgot about the ro unit, which normally would not matter cause it overflows into the laundry room sink, but this time the cats got to playing and the wast line got thrown out onto the floor. FYI the laundry is on the second floor, thank god for tiled flooring. just the hallway carpet got wet.

blackwater

no kidding...lol next time i'll keep the door shut so the damn cats will stay out. between this and them jumping on my tanks their are luck i don't make them the new additions to my freshwater tank. couple large grey stripe catfish anyone:grind:

dmatt88

oh fun fact. last night i caused my first flood:smack: forgot about the ro unit, which normally would not matter cause it overflows into the laundry room sink, but this time the cats got to playing and the wast line got thrown out onto the floor. FYI the laundry is on the second floor, thank god for tiled flooring. just the hallway carpet got wet.

Haha. Not funny but get prepared. It'll happen again. N again.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore