Live sand or Crushed coral?

Live Sand or Crushed Coral

• Total voters

Stacef

Ok, here's the ultimate question--

My fiance and I are disagreeing on substrate for our new tanks we are setting up.

I like sand,

He likes CC because it doesn't get "messed up" as easily. And simply likes the looks of it.

Which do you prefer.. and why.

Isn't CC a nitrate trap??

seafansar

I just like the look of sand better, and I think my bullet goby, who burrows and sifts sand, appreciates it.

Amphibious

Your question is a little off base. You don't need all live sand because it's too expensive. You want to find a source of dry Pure Aragonite sand as it is shipped in from the Bahamas. Processed and bagged "live" sand is a joke in my humble opinion. Aerobic bacteria, the critter that gives "live" sand it's name, requires oxygen to live. Once the "live" bacteria are closed off in the bag, how long will oxygen be available to them? Until they consume it. After that, death comes quickly. Your "live" sand is only live for a short period of time. Buying it from a LFS, your likely to be buying dead "live" sand. Why? Because before your LFS received it, it sat in a warehouse, for how long? Do you get my point?

Your best bet is to find dry Pure Aragonite sand in it's original state and find a diver that offers real "live" sand collected and shipped from the ocean. For a source of Pure Aragonite sand from the Bahamas PM me and I will send you more information on a source and why Pure Bahamian Aragonite sand is the preferred substrate.

When you first set up a reef tank you don't even need live sand. Your LR will seed your sand bed in a short period of time, long before you are ready to add corals and fish. This is an expensive hobby. Save money where you can.

If you want to add live sand, top of with an inch of real "live" sand from the ocean. You'll get more than aerobic bacteria. You'll get marine worms (very important), mini stars and maybe some little clams and snails.

I hope this helps win over your fiancee to sand because CC is a disaster waiting to happen. The results of your poll should point out how wrong CC is. I commend you for having the fortitude to stand up for your belief and bring your question here to RS.

Dick

Stacef

I knew where this poll was going to go. But I offered to put a poll up, and he said "whichever gets more votes--we'll do"

Looks like I won already :D Thanks everyone for your prompt responses!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I would never use CC but if you do choose to use it I would add a very thin layer and would recommend you vacuum it regularly.

Amphibious

I knew where this poll was going to go. But I offered to put a poll up, and he said "whichever gets more votes--we'll do"

Looks like I won already :D Thanks everyone for your prompt responses!
Of course you knew. With 1200+ posts on this forum you couldn't possibly have not seen this discussed often.

Your fiancee is a winner, too. He's got you to lead him on the straight and narrow. Best of everything to you guys.

Dick

Stacef

Yeah, I know what a terrible thing CC is, but I don't blame him for double checking if it's ok to use, by checking with everyone else!!

Sand it is, I get my way again :D

nikkipigtails

I had a bare bottom for a while in our back tank and it was the easiest to keep clean but my eyes wanted more so we added CC...BAD IDEA!!! It's like a toilet bowl that never gets flushed.

rlcline76

I voted both.
I will always go LS for the majority of my tank, but the pistols do like the leftover CC I had for lining their tunnels.

chrome91

sand here too, ive used crushed coral and crushed shells a substrate before, both looked ugly and the fish couldnt dig in it, i only use aragonite now

BEELZEBOB

crushed coral dooms your tank to a crash.

a DSB, made of aggronite, actually benifits your tank through buffering ca and alk, as well as a functional nirtifying bacteria population.

the DSB was adapted from waste management facilities.

one hinders your tanks ability to export nasties, and the other is one of the best ways to augment your waste removal system.

do not get CC, and ban the LFS' that suggest it.

Gina

RS STAFF
Live sand here. Don't like the idea of having to constantly vacuum the bottom.

TbcSEOD

I use both myself - about 2/3-3/4 LS and then the rest as CC for some "Texture" my 180 is LS on one side and about 2/3 way accost it starts turning in to CC just for diversity (but that only lasts until the next time it has to be moved too).

I've been into salts for less that a year though too - but I have more water in tanks than in my hot tub :bouncer: :bouncer:

~T