Live Rock Were Tobuy???!!!

rmlevasseur

Just to voice a different position, I hate not knowing exactly what is in my tank. Any HH that goes in the tank I'm willing to buy.

The majority of my rock came from Marco Rocks, which imo is the best rock I have ever seen. But its dead, so no bacteria - but a lot cheaper and beautiful rock. You can see from my chronicle that in about 7 months it looked no different that LR you purchase anywhere else. It purples up great. Naturally you still need some LR in there to cycle and to spread the bacteria to the dead rock, but since I cycled I've never once tested positive for any readable nitrate.

I think everyone elses points are perfectly valid, but so far I haven't seen any advantage that a tank featuring really crawling rock has had over mine. I'm very glad I saved the money and got really porous and interesting shaped rock.

With that said, good luck getting Marco Rock now. I recently cancelled an order that I had waited 6 months for.

nikkipigtails

Where are you located? I'm taking down my 180 in a couple of weeks and will have some extra rock if you're interested. I'll have big pieces and nano pieces with lots of coralline available.

nikkipigtails

getting rid of your tank nikki? or moving in to something BIGGER!?

LOL. Yes and no. I'm taking down the 180. We bought a 130 custom acrylic cube that's been sitting dry in our bedroom for a while. The 180 literally takes up an entire wall in our living room so we decided to take the 180 down and set up the 130 in the living room because it'll take up a LOT less room. We've got 200+lbs of LR in our 180 and the sump so we're going to have a lot left over.

Stacef

should i just get a rubbermaid, a powerhead, a heater, some cheap oceanic salt and can i use tap with decloratinated willthis work to cure it?

thanks

I don't think anyone caught this, but here is a major mistake, hopefully caught early,

NEVER use tap water in your tank. There are to many metals and unknown elements within it. Only use RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis) water. If you do not have an RO/DI unit, either purchase one or if money is tight you usually can buy water by the gallon (mixed or not) from your LFS, or even Culligan machines (at Wal-mart etc)

miaskies

You could possibly google pet stores in your area if you want to handpick.I personally love uncured live rock. It is alive and has lots of neat organisms attached like clams, feather dusters, anemones, plants and if you add it to your tank to cycle it, you can add fish in about a week or two.
If you scrub the rock and keep it in a bucket it is kinda stupid, because you want all the things on the rock to seed your biological filter. I just added some live rock about a week ago to set my tank up and I am highly enjoying watching the soft corals that are on the rock. And the feather dusters and coral appear to be doing ok because I did'nt cure the rock.
I like my live rock alive, not dead. ALSO- I ADDED A LOT OF UNCURED LIVE ROCK TO AN ESTABLISHED AQUARIUM BEFORE(IT WAS BEAUTIFUL- ALL COVERED IN THICK, PURPLE ALGAE) AND IT NEVER SPIKED MY AMMONIA, NITRITE OR NITRATE! YOU CAN'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT REEFKEEPING. PERSONALLY, I LIKE TO BUY LIVE ROCK FROM ESTABLISHED DISPLAYS IN PET STORES. THIS TIME OF YEAR IS SLOW AND THEY MAY BARGAIN WITH YOU.