live rock price

okiejaco

Ok guys, I need some help. I am about ready to put water in my tank. Hopefully next week and I am still not sure what I am going to do about rock. Some one in my area is going to have some rock for sale that has been in their tank for about a year and a half. I am going to be needing about 25 to 30 lbs and he was not sure about price. He was thinking around $5 per pound. I was hoping to get some around $3 but maybe that was wishful thinking. What do you guys think? Probably not a bad price considering that it is close and has been in an established aquarium for more that a year. Would this rock make it an easier cycle for me? Thanks in advance.

vdituri

Yeah, definitely take a look at the rock or see if they can email you a pic.
If it had tons of coralline algae I could see $5, but you don't want to buy an aiptasia farm.

Check Craigslist if you haven't already, and look for comparison prices.
Some stores sell liverock for $5.99 a lb that is plain and brown and no coralline.

okiejaco

I was figuring around $4 or a little less. I have seen some picuters and it is covered in coralline algae. What about the cycle? Will it be easier or will I still get a cycle?

Cavinca

yeah youll still have a "cycle" but depending on how long its out of water and how much dies on it your "cycle" time will vary. much shorter though as opposed to uncured live rock.

what kind of rock is it? fiji, tonga, etc?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
All tanks have some degree of a "Cycle" but with "QUALITY" live rock it will lessen it to some degree.

The price may be good.. you have to compare it to what you could get quality LR locally for there.. like here... a LONG way from the ocean and airport quality LR can sell for as much as $12.99/lb.... so $5/lb is CHEAP but many places have it for less than $5/lb.... it's all subjective to what other prices are in your area.

okiejaco

The rock would probably be less than 30 minutes from my house. I think it is a little high but not much. I was more concerned with the cycle. I will be using live sand that I bought at the lfs, so that should cause a little cycle, too. Right???? It is agra-alive sand.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The sand wont "Cause" any cycle unless you let it get too hot or cold. The Live Rock that is local has the best chance for the least "Cycle" as long as you transport it carefully (not too hot, cold, overly exposed to air and keep it wet). The less die off the softer the cycle will be.

good luck :)

okiejaco

Thanks for all the help. I wouldn't be doing a saltwater tank, if it wasn't for all the online help. You guys rock!!!