Little smudgers first marine tank - Fluval M90

A few photos a month on since my last lot.

Additions

Mimic filefish - lovely fish with a great personality. Gets on well with all other fish in the tank and has become very tame. He holds onto a little hook with his mouth at night, when he sleeps. No issues with him pecking at any corals.

Coral beauty - again, exactly the same as above - beautiful fish and enjoys swimming with the clowns. No issues with corals.

BEBA56B1-CCF7-40F5-B5A2-2B1E888D0C84.jpeg A7875999-595D-4FEE-BA15-0808EF0FE0D5.jpeg 6E4EF199-3E4B-4CA1-853A-55B2318ED3F8.jpeg6E4EF199-3E4B-4CA1-853A-55B2318ED3F8.jpeg

Hey all,

Firstly I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas period

Now as I’ve been a good boy all year, Santa behave me some new lighting haha. I now have the Hydra HD26 which is the kind of lighting I’ve been looking at to improve my set up and coral growth.

I’ve not set these up on the aquarium yet as I’ve read I need to get these new lights all programmed up and also lower the output and slowly increase, as the change of lights may upset the aquarium.

Ok, so I’ve watched videos and read hundreds of posts but I’m still not 100% clear how to set up the different colours, for what periods over a 24 hour cycle, along with the lunar stuff etc etc.

So any help would be much appreciated. Also any feedback on the type of lights I’ve chosen!! I’ll add some photos of the the lights along with the interface

Cheers

Little smudge

Pat24601

I don’t have them, so I can’t help.

One thing you might want to do is post your question in the general discussion forum. Sometimes people read that that don’t read tank threads.

SPR

I’ve got 4 of the Hydra 26 HD’s on my tank and you can see what they do on my build thread.

I would recommend you connect your phone or whatever your using to control them, direct to the parent light other wise if you try and go via a router you will have all sorts of connectivity issues, or lack of. This drove me insane until I did this.

It just means each time you want to change anything (which is not often once your happy), you just connect direct to the light which will be listed under your network.

I use, and have always used, the recommended Red Sea settings as below but the only slight difference is that I ramp the white out at around 7pm and go ‘blue’ in the evenings as a personal preference. I have a 1 hour ramp up and down for mornings and evenings.

I also use the full storm effect settings in the evenings as well which I quiet like. I’ve never used lunar, well, because I’m in bed..

I know some people will have their own views but if Red Sea say these are best following their research then that’s good enough for me. And my corals grow really well so....

If you need any help just let us know.

IMG_0067.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SPR that’s brilliant thank you very much.

I think I may need to change the gooseneck bracket as it’s very forward in the aquarium . The only other issue I can see so far is that I have dark areas now in the corners of the aquarium and I’m staring to wonder if one is enough to cover the length of my aquarium - length is 90cm x 45cm depth of 40 cm

What do you reckon?? I’ve tried moving the position of the light up and down to try and get more angle and cover the corners, but on doing so I seem to lose a lot of light.

I’ve now set it up nearly like what you showed me, although I have lowered the white lights as they are a lot brighter than the ones fitted previously and didn’t want to upset the corals and fish too much

Again, thanks very much for the advise, I must admit the lighting has confused me for some time and is still doing so haha

SPR

SPR that’s brilliant thank you very much.

I think I may need to change the gooseneck bracket as it’s very forward in the aquarium . The only other issue I can see so far is that I have dark areas now in the corners of the aquarium and I’m staring to wonder if one is enough to cover the length of my aquarium - length is 90cm x 45cm depth of 40 cm

What do you reckon?? I’ve tried moving the position of the light up and down to try and get more angle and cover the corners, but on doing so I seem to lose a lot of light.

I’ve now set it up nearly like what you showed me, although I have lowered the white lights as they are a lot brighter than the ones fitted previously and didn’t want to upset the corals and fish too much

Again, thanks very much for the advise, I must admit the lighting has confused me for some time and is still doing so haha
Your more than welcome.

If you think the lights are much brighter then just reduce each parameter down and then increase them all as shown in the graph over a period of weeks. Or you can use the acclimatisation function on the lights.

The lights are designed to point straight down so you may need to get another one if your not happy with coverage. Or you will go mad looking at them and pondering lol!

The Max S 650 is 160cm long, 70cm wide, and deep, and I have 4 Hydra’s so on that basis you may need another. Which is why you may have a few dark areas.

Hope this helps you decide.

Well the year has not started so well - I knew my female clown was a jumper and always put a cover over the top when I turned my lights to blue. This evening, with the new light system not needing to turn them off, I neglected to remember to put the cover on. I’ve just come up and found the ooor thing on the floor. Not long happened so I first tried manually moving her in the water to get some through her gills, after 5-10 minutes, no joy so I tried an old tropical trick, and friend the same in some cold salt water ( shock treatment) I fortunately no joy. I am completely gutted as the pair was doing so well.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Should this be done as soon as possible, same size?

Kind regards

Little smudge

saintsreturn

Wow that is horrible news! Unfortunately I am no help when it comes to pairing back up as I have only had one clown since the beginning.

Best of luck!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Susanedw

sorry on your clown. That's hard. For a replacement, you want to get slightly smaller I think, as the larger one will become a male if not already. Tank looks great.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The larger clown that jumped was the female, correct? With my mated pair, that lays eggs, the female is about 50% larger than the male, or more...

I believe I am correct, if you have a male left and you get a bigger one, it would be a female or likely to convert to one. If you get a smaller clown, than the male you have now, he may be male or female, but the larger one will convert to female.

some one jump in, if this is wrong... I think this is what Doni (woodstock) always said... and she was the clown guru - tons of post on raising clowns & a business raising them

hope this helps

Yes the one that I allowed to jump was the female. Approx 50% larger than the younger male.

I’ve been reading up a fair bit since my disastrous New Year’s Day and I think my best option will be to go for a larger clown and known female within the aquariums at the LFS. This way my current male will remain male and once the female shows her dominance and the male submits then fingers crossed for the future of them.

Still gutted at what happened. The poor little fella spent two days coming out of the leather coral that hosted then and swimming around the tank looking for her. Before she went, they would both be in the leather part from when they both went to the same spot of rock and started cleaning, ohh and feeding tine haha.

I will of course keep this thread updated

Kind regards

Little smudge

Pat24601

Yes the one that I allowed to jump was the female. Approx 50% larger than the younger male.

I’ve been reading up a fair bit since my disastrous New Year’s Day and I think my best option will be to go for a larger clown and known female within the aquariums at the LFS. This way my current male will remain male and once the female shows her dominance and the male submits then fingers crossed for the future of them.

Still gutted at what happened. The poor little fella spent two days coming out of the leather coral that hosted then and swimming around the tank looking for her. Before she went, they would both be in the leather part from when they both went to the same spot of rock and started cleaning, ohh and feeding tine haha.

I will of course keep this thread updated

Kind regards

Little smudge

That does suck, but I think you are handling it right. This kind of thing happens to all of us.