Litophyton

OHreefer

Has anyone ever kept litophyton before? I just purchased one (and not cheap) and it's supposed to be rare. I googled it and there isn't much info on it. I was told it's photosynthetic and isn't that hard to keep. Does anyone have any experience with it or pieces of advice? It was brownish where I purchased it, but was told that it'll color up to a bright pink.

Mcvivor

Hey again fellow OH reefer. Hah. I have Kenya Trees and those are in the same family as the coral you bought. Do you have a pic? Maybe you indeed did buy a Kenya Tree. They are pretty simple to care for. Mine has babies every day I see new ones growing somewhere! Did you go to Aquatic Tech? I was there earlier today and bought a few frags!

mettjl03

I've never kept one but from what can remember they are hard to keep in a home aquarium (correct me if I'm wrong). I know that is its pretty aggressive and needs room. I think some can produce toxins which can be harmful to other reef creatures... It is true that depending on they type of lighting you have it may change color.

I found this little bit of info (below) off the net for you... Hope it helps!

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provide some of the nutritional needs via the light driven process of photosynthesis. It will also require feedings of food such as micro-plankton, baby brine shrimp, or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates. These should be regularly blown across the polyps.

Can be kept under high output fluorescent bulbs, but may benefit from more intense lighting. Coloration will change depending on the lighting provided. May require a longer acclimation period to intense lighting such as metal halides.

OHreefer

Funny you mention that because I bought a Kenya Tree as well! Lol. I'm sure it wasn't a Kenya because they looked different. I hope the litophyton survives! I need to take a visit to Aqua Tech again. It's a haul from my house, but is awesome! Are the frags cheap? I found someone local here right around the corner from my house. Otherwise, there aren't any good coral places nearby. It's all at least a 40 minute haul!

OHreefer

Thanks for the info! I saw that same information online. I'll be happy if it survives. I haven't had any coral die on me (knock on wood), but this is the first coral that isn't considered a beginner's coral. I hope it goes well! I put it in the tank tonight, and it doesn't look good so far, lol.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
pichers.jpg

OHreefer

LOL I'd take a picture, but right now the coral seems to be in shock....the kenya tree i just purchased lalong with it ooks fabulous though, lol. I'll post a picture later, assuming it survives :cry1:

Mcvivor

They have some decent ones....Not a good selection I got lucky and found some good ones (frags) all of his other corals are SO expensive. (one of the reasons I do not like going to his store) BTW I sent you pics of my tank!

OHreefer

OMG i looked at his prices online and they're outrageous! I can refer you to the guy I purchase from if you're interested. It's by me, so about 40 minutes from you. He's got tons of frags normally and very reasonable prices. I've purchased a lot of frags of more commen corals for 5 to 10 each! I just sent you pics of my tank!

:eek:lsmile:

OHreefer

Well when I put it in the tank yesterday it looked really bad, and then slowly "stood up" so I'll keep everyone posted! Pictures will follow after it perks up a bit more! I was told it'll be a nice pink color when it recovers.

OHreefer

Take that back...it looks bad now :-( It hasn't extended itself in a while. I've never lost a coral until now :-( I'll stick with my standard softies!