Liquid Gravel Cleaner and similar products are they any good any benefits? Sound off

Hi all! was wondering as i often do as i look through all the products at my fav online stores. is this any good doe's it work what are the down side of this product? and i came across this product Liquid gravel vac. I'm not asking if i can forgo water changes. As I've said in the past WATER CHANGES are our best friend when it comes to keeping our tanks healthy and happy !!! but was just wondering is there any benefits to adding these supper bacteria products to help keep our tanks clean and help our filters work there best. Lets face it no matter how well we keep up with our cleaning we cant get in 2 every nook and cranny.(unless your tearing down your tank and cleaning every thing each month) and we get gunk that builds up and this in return starts to mess with our water quality and undoing all our hard work.Do you guys think these type of products would help break down all that organic matter that builds up in those hard 2 reach places.Do you think this would cause a increase in nitrates ? so let all that reef keeping wisdom flow from your finger tips and chime in Thanks guys

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Re: Liquid Gravel Cleaner and similar products are they any good any benefits? Sound

Conventional wisdom says without removing the Nitrates, they are still in the system. If that product is professing the ability to change them into something else, it begs the question, into what. is this "what" good for my system or bad for my system.

Re: Liquid Gravel Cleaner and similar products are they any good any benefits? Sound

it doe not say it makes nitrates go away it does says will dissolve organic sludge, was wanting to add to help keep tank cleaner and maybe help keep from getting build in those place i can't get to with reg water changes and cleaning. wanted 2 know if it may cause nirates 2 rise don't have right know. and was wondering if this kinda stuff really works.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

to desolve the "liquid sludge", it would have to do one of several things, none of which i see as positive. 1) Introduce a fast acting bacteria 2)introduce enzymes to expedite organic break down 3)Both.

In a stable tank, with multiple live critters in it, i wouldnt add that at gunpoint. In a tank you are taking down, or have depopulated to clean thoroughly, it might be useful. And it would be good to mix with sand you are putting in buckets to save/reuse, but even that would probably cause a nitrate spike. I dont do something to my populated tanks that i know will mess with the ballance. it just makes no sense.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

I'd have to say "No thank you" to that product. Most of the time you can't buy a solution in a bottle and if it's liquid go ahead and call it "Snake Oil".

Save your money and enjoy your tank :)

thanks guys that's why i ask before i buy you always get great answers