Lighting upgrade on a budget?

Curgan

So i got my tax refund check... and i want to upgrade but im definitely on a budget... im currently running one 54w t5 with one 30w t12... this has sustained life in my tank for 2 years, but i dont have much growth at all, so its time to upgrade, my tank is about 50gal, 48"x 12"x18", im looking to spend around 300... i mainly have softies and LPS's ... any know of some good deals???

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! You're really hitting on the LOW end of light but KUDOS to you for "making it happen" with that light.

I don't have pricing but look into some Tek fixtures for that size tank.

jjohnson3

Hey Curgan :)

Id check on ebay. Your tank dimensions make me think that your tank is 55G :) More fishies!!!!!

With $300 you could get either T5s or MHs. Which would you prefer? If you want shimmer, go with MH. If it does not matter, go with T5.

Ahvrivera

try these. they say out of stock but they get merchandise in often.
4Ft/4Bulbs with LED or

250W Metal Halide Pendant Lights

it all depends on where you want to go in the future with your tank. if you plan on adding some sps's i suggest MH. They will grow with T5's also but at a slower rate. you would need 2 for your size tank. and with this fisxture you can add to it and have T5' s actinics.

hope this helps.

Curgan

Wow! You're really hitting on the LOW end of light but KUDOS to you for "making it happen" with that light.

I don't have pricing but look into some Tek fixtures for that size tank.
everything has been healthy for two years, so that was apparently enough light to keep everything alive, but i dont get much growth, and everything in the tank seems to grow tall and not wide, i think the corals are stretching up for more light.

Hey Curgan

Id check on ebay. Your tank dimensions make me think that your tank is 55G More fishies!!!!!

With $300 you could get either T5s or MHs. Which would you prefer? If you want shimmer, go with MH. If it does not matter, go with T5.
Aight im checking out Ebay right now, i have my eye on this
and This my biggest concern is that i live in southern california and dont want too much heat, so im leaning towards t5...

r2d2

Hi, I've seen a really nice fixtures on CatalinaAquarium.com , about $170 Solar 4x54W T5HO and with $30 extras you could have moon lights installed.
Greetings

Curgan

im debating between these and These... any opinions??? im not really an expert on fixture performance and quality... is 216 watts of t5 action enough light in a 55 gallon to get good growth???

jgking21

Haven't heard great things about the Odyssea lights and I just orderd a M/H from the fishneedit site. The ballast was bad, but they are sending a new one, so I give it to them for customer service. And I'm not sure if their T5's have individual reflectors or not, and everyone says that is a must!

Curgan

Haven't heard great things about the Odyssea lights and I just orderd a M/H from the fishneedit site. The ballast was bad, but they are sending a new one, so I give it to them for customer service. And I'm not sure if their T5's have individual reflectors or not, and everyone says that is a must!
Do you have a Number for Fisheedit? i sent them an email but i would rather just call them and talk to them..

Curgan

Thanks jgking, i got ahold of them and they are out of this fixture untill June... im kinda bummed because after my research this morning, i was kinda leaning towards these.... hmmmmm.....

jgking21

Well your tank has survived for 2 years with what you have, so it sounds like you could make it a few more months. I guess that is the draw back to a small company, but they are trying to improve thier products. Good Luck with what ever you get!

Curgan

thanks, i think im going to wait for june, and get their 4ft 4 bulb t5... for the price it seems like the best unit... their individual reflectors arnt parabolic, but at least the kinda "wrap" around each bulb... so it should give some good reflection...

ShootMe

You can check out This retro kit on hellolights.com. Comes in under your budget and you get true individual reflectors. If you go with the retro kit you should also get a fan to keep the bulbs somewhat cool to help increase their lifespan.

ShootMe

You can get two of These retro kits from hellolights.com. More then enough light for any softy and most lps given proper placement. Comes in under your budget to plus you get true individual reflectors.