Lighting question

jkrutherford

I am a complete newb to salt water aquariums and would like to build a reef tank. which of the following lights would work best for an aquarium measuring 48" Wide x 20 1/2" Tall x 12 1/2 deep?

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

or

Odyssea Metal Halide System

I have a support brace in the center of my tank and am concerned about the metal halide bulbs melting the plastic on the brace, but am not sure the 48" quad t5's would give me enough light. if you could (excuse the pun) shed some light on this subject for me it would be fantastic!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sounds like a 55 gal tank to me. Its really gunna depend on what ur planning on keeping in the tank sps, softies shrooms etc.
Yet on a more generic note t5 lighting is quite good in many cases. Very versatile. Look for individual reflectors n im sure other members have experience with those lights

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

bshady

I use a 4 bulb t5 setup. I have a mixed tank from softies - sps and have no concerns with my lights.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Re: Lighting Queestion

the systems your referring to (whom shalt re mane nameless lol) do not have a wonderful track record so for me neither would be an option.
A 6 bulb T5 would be real nice some even have HQI bulbs at the ends

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick

I'm going with the Sunlight Supply TEK light. (48" 6x54W) If I'm not mistaken, Pimpala is letting a friend borrow his, but it'll be available soon! Right?

chelseagrin

why dont you go led, its much more efficient and costs way less than either t5 or halide in the long run, but out of the two if you have really no other options i would go halide. but as stated they dont have the best track record.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

I'm with Sas in "that company" has a much less than stellar track record. It's your money and I'm all for saving $$ when it's wise but I would never suggest someone buy from them. Keep in mind that some members here on RS have bought from them and are very pleased. At the same time a few others have bought from them and immediately replaces several key components and have a GREAT system.

Buy smart and buy once :)