Lighting Options

Noah

Odyssea 36" deluxe black quad (39 x 4) high output T5 156 watt lighting fixture.

Is this a dependable set up for a 30g reef tank?

Never heard much from Odyssea, so looking for opinions.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I have never owned an Odysea, but I have read posts from their owners like "my fixture caught fire" that I have not seen with other brands. If you look its not hard to find those threads.

Two things I would look for in a T5 fixture. Individual reflectors for the bulbs, as they really focus the light and increase the output from each bulb by a factor of 3. The second item is active cooling (a fan). T5s do not run that hot, but for every degree the bulb is over 77, the light efficiency goes down 2%. So if the bulbs reach 100 degrees, then you lose ~40% efficiency

There are many brands on the market that fit the bill. Current with their Sundial and Nova Extreme Pro products along with Aquatic Life at the lower cost end, Aquactinics in the middle cost range; ATI and Aqua Photon bring up the high cost fixtures.

One of the mistakes I have seen many people make (and I have myself) is not to look at the fixture as an investment. I bought a lower cost fixture and ended up swapping it out for a more expensive one as I was unhappy. Even if it takes a little longer to save, my advice for long term success is to not cut corners on the lighting or protein skimmer, get a really good one at the start. That, and do at least 25% weekly water changes.

Nuts! Giving out all my secrets!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
.....One of the mistakes I have seen many people make (and I have myself) is not to look at the fixture as an investment. I bought a lower cost fixture and ended up swapping it out for a more expensive one as I was unhappy. Even if it takes a little longer to save, my advice for long term success is to not cut corners on the lighting or protein skimmer, get a really good one at the start......

Excellent advice! WISE!!

My first reef tank I bought THREE different fixtures before I was happy with #4. I should have just saved and bought the GOOD ONE from the get-go. A local reefer here in WNC says, "Buy cheap buy TWICE!" He's right!!