Lighting Color In Frag Tank?

Rcpilot

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm setting up a 20g high frag tank. I'm going to use my old Coralife PC light. It's got 2 bulbs right now. One is 65w True Actinic and the other is 65w 10,000K.

I don't care WHAT this tank looks like. It's not meant to be pleasing to the eyes. I want maximum coral growth. I am planning to grow zoas, mushrooms, SPS and LPS. No softies or anenomes.

I think I should go ahead and keep the 10K light. But should I keep the actinic too? Do these corals NEED that spectrum to grow, or is that just for our eyes to make it look pretty? It would be great if I could just use what I got, but I'm not sure if they need that blue spectrum from the actinic. If I could get better growth from another 10K or even a 6500K, then I'd dump the actinic and go with one of the lower K light.

OR:
Keep the actinic and dump the 10K for a 6500K? Or 8000K?

Thanks

Witfull

spectrum affects the color of the corals. 2-10k's will give growth, but the actinic will color them up more.

zimboy

grow em in your frag tank under 6.5k until they have reached the right size, then put em under 20k to colour them up.

Rcpilot

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks for the help.

Since I already have a 10K--how about I just replace the actinic with a 6500K? Then I'd have a 10K and a 6500K. I'd only have to buy one bulb that way.

Merry Christmas fellow reefers!! :thumbup:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm going to be running a set of Current bulbs in my Frag tank (Same light fixture I think) and I have ordered 22" SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700ºK/10000ºK 65W which should give me the best of both worlds. My coralife fixture is actually a 21" fixture but I measured and the 22" Current bulbs should fit. They are on order (Thanks AQTCJAK) and should be here any day now.

:)