light question

melgrj7

I have a 15 gallon tank (24"L X 13"W X 12"H) with a 4X24watt T5 fixture on it. Right now its set up that 2 bulbs are 10K and 2 are actinic. Would it be ok to change it to 3 actinic bulbs and 1 10K? Or is there another way to get a little more bluer color?

The corals I have so far are polyps, zoas, a kenya tree, a hammer coral, a candy cane coral and mushrooms.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My One-Stop T5 connection has always been Reef Geeks. Plus they have great spectral graphs for most of the bulbs they sell so you can get an idea of what the bulb really is producing rather than just marketing hog-wash.

Here's a direct link to their T5 selection (24W)
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/t5-fluorescent/bulbs/24w.html

I think if you'll get an extra bulb (or two) of different kinds you can really get creative and have some eye popping colors.

In response to your question you "can" do exactly as you mentioned but I think you'd be more happy long-term tossing an ATI Blue + and maybe even a KZ Fiji Purple (Fiji Purple was my all-time favorite bulb when I was running T5's but that's 100% a personal opinion )into the mix. Part of the beauty of T5's is you can mix/match until you get the exact color scheme that makes you and your coral happy.

melgrj7

Thanks for the responses I'll look at the bulbs and when I have some $$ order a few and play around until I get the look I want :) Thanks a ton!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like a plan. Post back here and let us know what combination you finally go with and why. I like hearing what others find appealing.