light cicle??

onix

I ask in a LFS why I have brown algae if my parameter are good not perfect yet but good. He say that light cicle take more time. My lights are news and are 260w(2 10k and 2 actinic 03) He say that I will have this brown algae over all at first, then red and green algae and in the end of the cycle, gray algae until it dissapear. Is this information true. I can use some produce to evite it.
Thanks

vdituri

I had the brown "algae" too. It's diatoms. I had them when I first set up my 55. I thought they would never go away, but with water changes removed some and the snails ate some and it has almost gone away completely.
Patience and persistence are the key.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Diatoms are a natural part of most all new tanks. some people have a short diatom cycle and some have a longer one. I wouldn't give it any more thought. Just accept it and over time it will pass. Be sure to keep up your water parameters and water changes. It will pass.

Allen

prow

yeah he is right. alga cycles take some time. you dont always get the same algas in everytank. at the LFS i am sure they getting a very wide variety of algae. you will have different algae blooms at varioius times during the first year or so. dont fight it. just keep up with good husbandry. it really takes a year before your tank really starts to mature. most tanks are not really mature until after 18months. the grey algae, humm, the only grey i know of is coralline that is dieing/maybe recovering, at the LFS they my see this often but i would think you will not, others it just depends on what got/gets introduced.

onix

ok I will try to by patience with algae and put in the tank more snail that fish until the alage go away
thanks