Letting MIxed Water Sit

jrf1175

Hey All,

I am just wondering how long mixed saltwater can sit without a powerhead in it? I had a power head go down and my water has been sitting for 5 days now. Should I just toss this batch and mix a new one?

What is the main danger when letting SW sit and not circulate?

Thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would imagine stagnation is a possibility over that long of a period of time. Has it been covered?

Melanie

I would think if you ran a power head in it for 24 hours it would be fine. You can buy that premixed water at the store and there is no powerhead in it at all so I can't imagine that it would go bad.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
when salt is stagnant bactgeria starts to grow @ a rapid rate I would suggest tossing it & cleaning the containers out with vinagar & starting again

fishnu

Is it bad etiquette to squat on someone's thread?

I would be interested in how long you can let water sit with skimmer and powerhead running, at least partially covered.

I have a curing set up with unsalted RO/DI water in two Rubbermaid bins 50 gallons each, one with ASM G2,heater and chiller, Ocean runner 3500 running 900 gph into the second empty bin with a pvc return waiting for live rock and salt to arrive. Low light, partially covered (tubes, skimmer top, wires prevent closure).

Am I brewing something? Seems like bottled water probably sits for a while.

jrf1175

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's not that much to toss, so I will be on the safe side and mix some new stuff!

Cheers.