Lets build a tank

kospaintball

Hey everyone, i have been on and off here for quite a while and due to some life altering events i had to break my 150 down about 6 moths ago.

I recently had to move from alabama to florida and i am wanting to set my tank back up. I will make significantly more money now and so i am wanting to set my tank up with all the bells and whistles.

So lets pretend money isn't an object here and build a tank together. I want to get a good feel of what people are doing these days, have some fun.

its a standard 150 gal tank. i want to go led lights so whats the best led lights on the market? i want lps, softies mainly, a nem, and a clam. If i do any sps it all it would be minimal and i would just place them higher.

michael_cb_125

I love these types of threads.

For lighting there is in my opinion no better option right now than the Ecotech Radion. Depending on the layout of the tank and rockwork I would opt for two or three units.
I am currently using an ATB Standard Cone Custom White and I am very pleased. If money was not an object for a 150 I would opt for the ATB Elegance 200 Pro.
Water flow- Two Ecotech MP60s
Backup- Ecotech battery backup.

~Michael

Blue Space

Money no object? WOWZERS! But if money wasn't a concern I think I'd build a twenty thousand gallon so I could swim around in my own little ocean :snrkl: lol. But I'm sure the 150 will be awesome! I'm sticking 'round for this one! :D

michael_cb_125

Good Morning, here is another idea; get a nice custom Elos rimless aquarium to replace the current 150. I would look into the 120XL or the 120 (I have a 120 and service a 120XL) on a nice custom finished cube stand. I really like the High Gloss Wenge myself. I would opt to design my own filtration system based around the Elos sump. I would plumb one of the 12 gallon rimless Elos water containers directly to the sump to create a fuge. I would use the same ATB Elegance 200 Pro skimmer as mentioned above and the return pump would be an Eheim 1262 Hobby. Water flow would be achieved by two MPW60s. I would use two Ecotech Radions for lighting the DT and one AI Sol Nano for lighting the Refugium. The vortechs and radions would be connected to two ecotech battery backups. Water level would be controlled via the Elos Osmo Digital.

In my opinion this is as close to the perfect setup as you can get, I love the simplicity of the system and the overall look and feel of these elos tanks.

~Michael

kospaintball

wow glad to see i got so many good ideas kinda building up. i was hesitant to post this thread because of how sometimes you get that "do your research... find out this blah blah blah blah"

Now i do have a question. Why used 2 mp60? it seems that would be over kill no?

jpsika08

For a 150 or 120 I would say MP60's would be too much, you would have to take them down less than 50%, maybe better get 4 MP40's, one on each side and two on the back wall.

michael_cb_125

I do agree that two MP40 would be plenty, but I do not agree that two MP60s would be too much ;). I like alot of flow in my tanks, and I feel that in the right setting two 60s would be amazing. :)

~Michael

jpsika08

Agree with you Michael,
Now the big question (And sorry if I missed it in the above posts),what corals you will keep in there? if only softies and LPS, MP40's would be ok, if you will keep SPS, I agree with the MP60's.

kospaintball

softies, lps, clam, nem and then fish. and michael you are the one who said 2 mp60s so thats why i am asking. So we have two diff sets of ideas here. 2 mp40s and 4 mp40s

jpsika08

I have a 96" tank, I'm using 2 MP60's (One on each side) I don't go over 60% of the intensity due to their power, so in a smaller tank I think it can be overkill, just my 0.02 cents.

Though, SPS would love the flow produced by these.

jpsika08

+2 If I hadn't invested in the AI's three months ago, I would def look into the Radion, just the ability to communicate with the pumps is a major plus.