Let there be light !!!

dfstan

hi all, by chance found this forum and glad i've found it as well. tremendous information.

i'm currently re-doning my main tank. not too fancy, 67 US gallons, 3ftx1.5ftx2ft. please dun ask me why such weird size. the tank is build to act as a partition.

anyway, seeking your recommendation/suggestions/comments on my lighting.

1) 250w MH (Giesemann Infinity) - comes with 1xMH + 4xT5
2) 6xT5 (either ATI or Giesemann Razor)
3) Solaris (3ft - in think?)

kindly share your experiences please.

main inhabitants will be zoas, rics, clams and SPS capability in near-future.

thanks in advance.

Snelly40

geisman are great quality and will look nice, but from what i have heard and what i would do is go with the Solaris, the new ones are great and have so many features!!!!!

lcstorc

That sounds like a great MH fixture but you are going to have dim spots on the ends of the tank. A MH/ bulb covers 24 inches so the rest you would only have the T5 lighting.
The 6 bulb t 5 could be fine if it has good individual reflectors.
The Solaris is my favorite and what I just put on my reef but their have been some SPS keepers who were not fond of the light. My clams seem to love it as does my nem but I don't have any SPS so I can't report on that and it is too new for a long term report of any kind. I just love the flexibility and the heat/electrical benefits. It has dropped the temp of my tank by 10% which is a big deal to me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I totally agree on the "dark spots" with the MH. I have a 2 light unit on my 4' tank and I still have "Dim" spots. That's really pushing it for a single bulb unit.

If I were buying right now and up-front price weren't the MAIN factor it would be Solaris LED all the way. They may cost more TODAY but over the light of the fixture when you factor in all you save you're SAVING money after a couple of years or so. If you factor in the COOLNESS of it you start off money ahead :)

Now if you are working on a budget (like most of us) then I'd go for a high quality T5 unit like Lynn suggested. With quality bulbs and individual reflectors you'll get great growth and color from the T5 fixture :)

dfstan

hi, i've heard previous model of solaris has some problems. not sure what it is and its kinda heard-say thingy. has anyone whom owned previous model of solaris experience such? if so, what is that particular model. i'm afraid my local shop selling it and not telling me.

been to pro-aquatics website but requested a password. any other wensite to view these beauty lights and drools on it?

TIA

michael_cb_125

I have had T5, MHs, and the Solaris I4. IMO MHs and T5s are the only way to go. The Leds are just way too new and unproven. I had so many problems with mine. LEDs burning out, timing issues, brightness. I had mine for six months, the first LED Row went out after 1 month, then the other three followed shortly after. If you like a bright reef tank, the Solaris is not for you. Compare LED to T5 or MH, and you will see the difference. The MHs are so much brighter. I never tested the actual PAR levels, but the MHs look so much more crisp, and brighter.

Before dropping so much cash on the Solaris, do some research, I wish I would have. I think that you will be so much happier with MHs or T5s.
~Michael

dfstan

wat you think about giesemann infinity? looking at 2ft in size at 250w.
its 1xMH + 4xT5 combo. but the T5 does not have individual reflector attached to it.

michael_cb_125

Why exactly are you wanting to go with the 2 foot version?
The Giesemann fixtures are very nice. I was looking at the Infinity for my new Elos 70. But I opted for the Elos lighting fixture. The ELos has Individual T5 reflectors. I would recommend going with a unit with two MHs. with one MH on a three foot tank, you will have two very dim ends.
Here are a few links to some nice MH fixtures.

michael_cb_125

Aqua Medic Ocean light. This is the fixture that I had over my 100 gallon reef (4 foot version). I absolutely loved this light.Oceanlight 36" Metal HalideFixture 2x250W HQI+ 2x39W T5 by AquaMedic* - AquaCave

Another option would be the Elos planet II> This is the fixture that I have on order for my current tank. It is the best MH fixture that I have ever seen. The light output is simply amazing. Ive seen one setup on a tank at Einstein Aquatics in Ga., and it is a beautiful fixture, with great light out output to match. It comes in a 25" and 38" model. Dont let the MD. prices scare you, I got mine from Chris @ Einstein Aquatics, for much less. Let me know if this fixture interests you, and I can get you Chris's contact info.
.Elos 38 inch Planet II 2x150W 10K HQI, 4x39W T5 (T5 bulbs sold separately) Fixture - Dolphin Gray, MH With T5 > Double Ended MH > 36-38in Units > Metal Halide > Fixtures > Lighting > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies

~Micahel

dfstan

decided on 6x39w T5 ATI powermodule. will post some pic when arrived. really excited. now i'm afraid too much light for my 3ft tank with 18inch width!

dfstan

hey guys, any suggestions for the bulbs combination? thinking as follows

Front
GM Actinic +
ATI Blue
ATI AquaBlue Spezial
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue
GM Actinic +
Back

inmates likely to be zoas and some SPS.

cheers

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like the sounds of that arrangement!!! Of course I like LOTS of blues so I'd love that set-up.

Allen