Leeching phosphates need advice

jgsensor

I'm not pulling all the sand, just thinning it out a bit. I don't remember how much I started out with, possible 200-240 pounds maybe more ( the tank is 96x30x30). The problem is that over time with currents and critters moving it around it had become anywhere from 1" to 6' deep. However I have found a lot of hollow spots under it these last two days. I need some more sand cleaners. I have around 100 nassarius snails and 5 conch for stirring the sand. I tried to add a couple gobies lately, but not having any luck with them lately. I added a Dragon goby about a month ago, he went straight under a rock and I haven't seen any signs of him since. Yesterday I added a Diamond and my Flame Hawk killed him today. I thought about a Cuc, but i am a bit nervous about them dieing in the tank.

So tonight I removed another gal of sand, vacuumed about a 1/3 of the SB, stirred up some of the remaining SB, and changed 75g. I will take some readings tomorrow evening to see where I'm at and then do another water change Fri or Sat. Still need to remove maybe another gal of sand or a bit less.

jgsensor

Sasquatch - Not like you think it should have, I didn't test the water until this evening so it may have spiked while doing it. I vacuumed some of it up and when i was stirring up the SB, I was pumping water out right where I was stirring to try and catch as much of the muck as i could. Still the water got a bit murky for a bit. Still have a ways to go and I will tke another shot at it this weekend with another 100g wc.

Here are the latest parameters;
PH = 8.24
Salinity = 1.024
Ca = 470
Alk = 8.3
Phos 1
Nitrate = 25 (maybe slightly less)
Mag = 1350
Temp = 79.4

steved13

PREMIUM
I don't think so, Phos 1PPM still.

This is a long shot, but any particular rock(s) that has more algae growth? I'm thinking maybe it's only a certain rock(s) that are leaching and could be removed. I'm just spit balling trying to think of something.

jgsensor

Steve - no algae problems, tangs, rabbit fish and urchins take care of that for me.

Jackalope / Sasquatch - yes it is working slowly, nitrates and phosphates are down slightly. I am sure disturbing the sb added more muck to the water column, but I'm headed in the right direction. It is just going to take some time. There is a lot of muck in the sandbed and will take more cleanings and water changes.

jgsensor

Ok, another 100g water change, removed another 1-2g of sand, and vacuumed the sandbed. I'd say the sandbed hads been vacuumed about every place that I can reach without removing the rock. Did a good blowing out of the rock as I pulled water out so that should also help. I was going to get some parameters tonight, but ended up trying to catch a Kole Tang who has suddenly decided to become a bully. So after about 4-5 hours of patiently trying to net him or trick him into a trap, I came up empty. I did however get out the Tomini Tang that was getting beat up. He is now in the sump for the time being until I can catch the Kole. Any way, I will get some parameters tomorrow when I get home from work.

Jackalope

you know i spent hours trying to catch a gobie. found a piece of acrylic left over, cut it to fit in my tank for heighth, and basically made a dead-end spot for the guy to catch him in easier. it beat yanking my rock out omg.

jgsensor

I was trying to use the Tomini tang as bait. I had him in a small critter carrier box that I sunk in the tank and held down with a rock. The Kole would go crazy trying to attack him and I would try to catch him with no luck. There is a lot of swimming room and rocks to dash into in a 375g tank. I will have to try and think up another plan tomorrow. I do have some acrylic pieces laying around.

jgsensor

Here's the latest water parameters, not much changed except the nirates are down. I have another reactor for the rowaphos, but won't get it up and running until tomorrow night.

Temp 80.0
PH 8.32
Ca 480
Alk 8.6
Phos 1
Mag 1340
Nitrate 15
Salinity 1.025

jgsensor

I have cut back feedings quite a bit, but could probably cut back more. I am still trying to train myself on that one. I am sure though that stirring up the sb also has increased the numbers a bit. That and years of over feeding, but I'm trainable. It has drpped though from slightly over 20 to 15 now.

jgsensor

Here's the latest, I have done 2 60g wayrr changes this past week and hooked up the phos reactor to aide the two biopellet reactors. Still have not added any macro to the sump since I still have a tang in the sump until I can catch the kole and get him out of the tank.

So herevis tonights numbers, not much changed.
Ca 480
Alk 8.0
Mag 1300
Nitrate 10
Phos 1
Temp 79.3
Ph 8.3
Salinity 1.025

It may take some time and numerous water changes to get the numbers down