LED Spy Light DIY Made Easy

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would like to have one of those built into my system so I could flip a switch and "Spy" on the tank. I have Blue & White LEDS but I keep them very low. I'd like bright red so I could REALLY see what's happening when I'm asleep :)

Aqua Pro

If you are good with electronics go for power LEDs but cooling them is VERY important.

If you are not so good with electronics, make 2 per sqaure feet from my dumpy proof simple version(of course, I can build an optimized one too-you will have to wait til I have time to write it up in that thread.) Each one from mine uses about 1W, get a transformer accordingly. Note the discussion about improving the design-adding a small resistor(~5ohms) will help a lot in case there is surge when you flip the switch very frequently.

If you are completely not good at electronics, then hire someone to build an optimized version for you. HAAAHHA:tongue:

Aqua Pro

Al...while you sleep your fishies are going like this :makefun: at you

Actually, I think they do.

The same fish that will sleep hen when light is off, may come out to swim when the red light is on. Strange!

It looks as if the red light has soothing effect on them, when you get close to them, they seem not to see you(as science say they cannot see in red light) or just ignoring you (the mystical soothing I was joking about.) When the regular light is off and red is also off, they seem to know your presence.

k4ndle

If i am somebody that doesn't know much about electronic and where to get the parts for the the light. Then what should i do?

Aqua Pro

If i am somebody that doesn't know much about electronic and where to get the parts for the the light. Then what should i do?

Well I can make it for you but what you have for trade? Where are you located? I am from NY and if you ever pass by, I can even show how it can be done.

k4ndle

Do you also make blue leds? i will pm you with my contact information and we can talk more about it.

Aqua Pro

Do you also make blue leds? i will pm you with my contact information and we can talk more about it.

I can make blue ones for you as well, if that's what you mean.
As for DIY, blue ones must be inline with a resistor in order to get more light out them without burning the LED. Without a spec of the LED from the supplier, you are out of luck. Sometimes an engineering guess would be workable but not optimized.