LED Set up help to add more colors or stick with whites and blues.

thedru13

So I am looking to re configure my LED set up. Currently a 10k set up with a typhoon controller. I have a terriable time getting my whites low enough so really want to step it up and look into my options. My current set up is over 6 years old. I am looking into retro fit kits for my RSM 250 so I can retain the stock hood.

I have found a few companies that make a plug in type kit. My question is more around the color of LEDs. Been reading to much. Do I stick with the standard white,blue. royal blue? Or do I start to add more colors as in a full spectrum of colors.

My tank is currently stocked with a few fish, Ricordias, Torches, Bubbles, Anem, Zoas, and Acans. I want to get better coral growth and much better color. My stuff is washed out a bit. Colors just are not vibrant and not much growth.

so looking for some input around what would work best to accomplish what I am looking for out of the tank. The one kit I am looking at is made by StevesLEDs. Its there 16k option but was thinking should I make a custom config and add color to it since I will be revamping it all anyway. Let me k now some thoughts. Thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm a big fan of StevesLED and think they are doing a great job on their kits. What I really like is they are constantly trying to stay ahead of the pack or at least abreast of it and modify their offerings accordingly. I thought about tweaking my StevesLED set-up but decided to just go with their standard offering (it's only a 12g tank). I like the white, blue and RB layout and would go that route.

reefer gladness

This is a lot like the settings for a graphic equalizer on your home or car stereo - there is no right or wrong, only what you like and we all have our opinions.

That said, white is already the combination of all colors so this is the most important LED to choose first and then select other colors as needed to fill out the spectrum. I did a lot of research looking at spectrum charts when selecting my LED's which is relatively easy when using CREE LED's. Other LED's manufacturers don't make this information as readily available making the research more difficult.

FWIW, my preference was the 5-watt XML neutral white CREE because of the spectral distribution compared to the 3-watt CREE neutral white. The 3-watt had a big spike in the spectral distribution right where the royal blues normally fill in where the 5-watts were a little closer to the regular blue vice royal blue. So IMO the spectrum was filled out better using two large groups of LED's with spikes at different wavelengths at the blue end of the spectrum.

I'm not a fan of StevesLED's but to each their own. Don't like the tubular heatsink design or the use of Luxeon LED's which I can't find the datasheets for.

I'll also dispute some claims on his website like 'Cool Whites are not recommended for marine aquariums that have coral, as they provide very little useful wavelengths'. This is pure hogwash IMO and spreading misinformation generally ticks me off. Compare the spectral distribution of a cool white and a royal blue LED and you'll see a huge spike around 450-460nm on both - right smack in the middle of the usable PAR range for most corals. At the same time he's stating royal blues help maximize growth. You can judge for yourself whether he's conflicting himself with these statements.

Last edited:

thedru13

thanks for the replies. I just don't want to invest a ton of money and have similar results as to what I have now. Been doing a fair amount of reading but that in itself tends to get overwhelming and all runs together. I do appreciate the input from real users.

DaveK

... This is pure hogwash IMO and spreading misinformation generally ticks me off. ...

You got that right. There is a lot of "snake oil" being sold in the aquarium hobby and it's just not related to LED lighting. The only way you can fight it is to become knowledgeable.

Once and awhile, for a little fun, I tank one of those catalogs that the major online vendors send out and put a big X through every product I consider to be useless, or of extremely poor design. Sometimes over half the catalog gets crossed out.

thedru13

This is what I currently have.

There are 24 XPE royal blues (500mw BIN) run at 700ma and 6 XM-L cool whites run at 1750 ma. Color works out to about a 14k Phoenix, a touch whiter. The LEDs are run by Meanwell dimming drivers with a typhoon controller issue for me is my whites just go to dim or to bright. . I have them at 10% and it's bright I put them at 9% and they are almost off. My blues are similar but a bit more variation.

thedru13

Ok if i Stick with a a DIY thinking of going this route... Open to opinions..

So this is what I am piecing together right now... I am not sure it will be enough light but think it could work.
1x coralux 5up ldd driver board
1x storm led controller
2 x cree lumia 5.2 - 70w full spectrum 5 channel cree led ( is this enough light, Will this cover the width and depth of the tank, do I need optics?)
5x meanwell ldd-3 700h led driver 2 1000h led driver.
1x 250w 48v 5.2A DC Power Supply

I was thinking I could also add some Cree XT 3UPs as well. Maybe clusters of 3 on each end. What do you guys think?