LED Questions

Reddog170

I have decided to retro a LED build into the hood of my 8 gallon Bio-Cube. How do I figure just how many LED's I need? What ones do I need? At first I was going to split half white and half blue, but now I am seeing more being built with reds, greens as well.
I have been doing the research, but not asking the questions. Also I have a HUGE space issue. I only have a space of about 4.25 X 9.0 inches to fit it into and still use the stock hood, which I want to do for a few reasons, the biggest being a very curious 3 year old. I have been looking at several sights for the parts and right now the two that are standing on top are _LEDled?? >> ? and ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting « Reef Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting Now the second one seems to be having a site glitch or something as not all the links will open this morning but they do usually work, and they are a RS sponsor. Hero Led has everything I need but I have not heard anything about them until I found there site.
Thank You, Shaun
http://www.hero-ledstore.com/ this link works, I think

Last edited:

Iory

I haven't use LED in my tank and I am using just a simple tube light. But I am planning to add LED to my fish tank to make it much more elegant.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
i sent an email asking how many led's you would need to house ANY coral in my 15x15 100g.. they wrote back with recommendation of one 3 watt with no optics for every 3sq inches of surface area. 4 to 1 whites to blues.

thats a pretty broad question imo. i was just curious about what going big with led's meant.
There is alot of information on this forum about led's.. just search it.. (never ending info)

HEY Matt what was it that you were told about greens and reds??.. if i remember correctly they weren't recommended for some reason..

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Shaun watch this video. It's funny but really it makes sense. You want to work with a company that KNOWS Reef tanks and KNOWS LED!

LED dream build gone wrong - YouTube

[video=youtube;wU-XtZXz7AU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wU-XtZXz7AU[/video]

Built347

Hahahahaha.. you have to warn us about videos this funny... what if I was in court or something. Lmao!!!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

reefer gladness

I've worked with RapidLED and would refer them for a DIY project. Very quick with email responses to the questions you are asking although I'm sure everyone is extra busy this time of year. Several vendors that sponsor RS that should be able to help you also.

Agree, no optics when the LED's are close to the water. 1:1 ratio of cool white to royal blue 3 watt Cree's is good for about 10-12k, if you want to go bluer in the 15k range I think the number of blue LED's should be doubled.

Now is the time to integrate moonlights onto the same heatsink unless you're already happy with your moonlights.

Plan everything before you buy anything. Good luck!

dmatt88

Seems to be a growing consensus that red n green lighting don't add any significant benefits to coral growth. It does add significant algae growth though and some prefer the lights to b more visually pleasing.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Built347

Really? Is nobody else going to comment on the hilarity of that video??
Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't seen it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Really? Is nobody else going to comment on the hilarity of that video??
Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't seen it.

I think several people have seen it before but I always get a big kick out of it every time I watch it. I've posted it on several other forums as well LOL :)

Reddog170

Thank You all for the responses. The video was hilarious. I will not be using anything other than whites and blues. Started with e-mail's back and forth with rapid LED, right out of the box they sent me 2 good setups that meet my needs. Little more planning and a few more questions for them and I will be ready to start ordering, I think. Shaun