LED Lighting

andreefs

PREMIUM
I have a 55gal reef tank and use 54w t5 HO and want to switch to LED. I have both corals and fish. What wattage do I need and what kind of LED,their are so many to choose from.

reefer gladness

Going LED requires some research and planning. Factors such as your budget, the type of corals, depth of tank, height above water the unit will be mounted and choice of optics must be considered.

In general you want to make sure the unit is using 3-watt and/or 5-watt LED's, lower powered LED's do not penetrate water very well. The ability to dim the LED's is highly recommended, this will allow you to tune the intensity of the light to suit your corals and the color temp and spectral distribution to suit your own tastes.

To an extent you get what you pay for. Cheaper units may have several colored LED's but do not allow the ability to control each color separately, cooling is also an issue with some of the cheaper units. They pretty much ALL use the same LED's that are available to DIY builders as well. Check in with us before you make a purchase and we can offer more input.