LED lighting

Right now I am planning on using 3 rebels on one star.
LXML-PWC1-0100
LXML-PR01-0275
LXML-PB01-0023

Getting these all from the Future Electronics site.

Then soldering them onto this blank star
Rebel Star Blank Aluminum MCPCB Base, Triple LED - 20mm [LXB-RT20A]

I am also looking for a 45 degree lenses for the endor star.
Here is a 25 degree one I found . Endor Star 25° (3-Up) Lens For Luxeon Rebel Star LEDs [DB-OPML-3-025]

Could you guys direct me to link for the correct 45 degree lenses, and let me know if my Pcb is correct, as well as any other comments on the LED choices would be helpful.

Understood the point that cost effective will bring to the mass market. Perhaps a T5/LED combo would be viable in that price range. My LED project though, will be to show the power of LEDs are not to be reckoned with.

bskinn77

From what I have read the 60 degree optics seem to be the best optics for our use or you have to put them higher off the tank to not get a "spotlight" effect

Could I have a link for that, and also a link to the PAR meter?
Also Bskin, what arrangement of the LED's do you feel would be optimal, would by using the same arrangement as the Solaris be a step in the right direction.

bskinn77

I'll have to get you links later as I'm posting from my phone but I have a great read regarding LEDs for aquarium uses which covers everything from LEDs to drivers power supplys and optics as far as par reeding I have only seen a couple the set up I went with on my biocube 14 which I believe has dimensions of 16x14x16 I went with 12 Cree xr-e 6 royal blue 6 cool white without optics and about 6" above water par readings are a little over 600 a couple inches down ranging to 200-300 at the bottom

BIGGUN

Seperately dimmable whites and blues.
Manually dimmable would be fine. Automated dimming would be GREAT so you could do dawn and dusk and stop them at certain levels in case you didn't need 100 % power for your system.

Kevin

PaulR

There is a $400 LED metal halide replacement there. It didn't take you directly to it? If not just browse around under the lights section.

-Paul

Is that the model that is currently the standard for t5/LED combo? Is there any one else who has made a more powerful or effective combo light? My initial idea is to keep the design more or less similar and just use more powerful light sources that are cost-effective. I think $600 for a 48" like catalina would be around right.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
$600 is competitive for a LED/T5 combo IMO. Lower is better of course; while dimmable bulbs would be nice I for one would rather have low cost than frills.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
$600 is competitive for a LED/T5 combo IMO. Lower is better of course; while dimmable bulbs would be nice I for one would rather have low cost than frills.

Ditto! Honestly $600 would be a DONE deal for me on that unit. To be honest $1000 isn't "out there" price wise for a quality 48" unit. I paid (at a discount mind you) something like $700 for a 48" MH/T5 unit.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I agree, that would be ideal. They claim they do the light of 2x175 MH plus 4x54w T5.

A 36" fixture with 1x175 MH equivelant + 4x39w T5 would also be a hot seller

Interested in hearing your ideas on this T5/LED combo
Sfiligoi new Stealth line LEDs + T5’s | Reef Builders

And here for the store link: Aquarium Obsessed - Aquatronica, Custom Aquariums, H&S, Tunze, Fauna Marin, Milwaukee, Prodibio, Shuran, Sfiligoi and More!

Should I base my design off of the Catalina or this? And also their LED looks neat, anyone know what type of LED's they use and whether or not this would be a better choice than, say , Solaris or AI? I think the price is just too high that no one probably has tried it.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Aside from the 60" bulbs, which are not very popular; IMO 8 T5 lights plus LED is too much for my uses. That would be very, very bright. Would rather see it at 4 bulbs + LED. Maybe 6

razorvines

Hey 60" bulbs are very popular with me, I just wish I would have known how few there were out there when I bought my tank!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well I'm probably alone here but I'd like to see as MANY T5's and as many LEDs as you can pack in there. I LOVE LIGHT!! :)