Learn from my mistake - setting up dosing pumps

Camille

I had a Bubble Magus dosing pump and decided to upgrade to a GHL SA unit. Pretty cool unit! Set it up the same as the Bubble Magus. Buuuuuttttt...... BM - you tell it how much you want to dose over 24 hours and how many dosings and it will work out individual dosings for you. GHL - you tell it how many dosings per 24 hours and how many mls EACH dosing. I had entered the total amount per day - not per dosing. So I've been way, way, way over dosing and wondering what on earth was going on with my testing and why I was going through so much stuff... Wasn't too bad when I said only two doses per day but then I changed it to 10-20 doses per day to keep it nice and even - then the it hit the fan.... Anyway I now have a Mag of 1500, Alk of 9.8 and Ca 500+. I will leave everything to lower on it's own so hopefully it'll be OK. Mg and Alk don't worry me (I know some people keep their Alk up there) but the Ca is worrying. Some of the corals look a wee bit stressed - not too bad - just looks like they've got to bed early. Maybe they just have and I'm confusing the signals....

I was blonde when I set it up (and got it wrong). I dyed my hair red two days ago and suddenly realised what I had done wrong.... I wonder......

Camille :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Camille

Part two....

I just tried testing the Ca again (with RS). I added a second syringe and it seems that my Ca (if the increases on the card carry on the same after 500ppm) is 660ppm :(

I confessed to my other half what I had done and he said how do you fix it? I suggested buying more corals to use up the calcium :p

DaveK

The best way to fix things is several large partial water changes. Do it over the next few weeks to stop stressing your existing corals and the rest of the live stock.

It's real easy to cause a lot of water issues by leaving thing way off.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for sharing, may save someone else - good advise ^

hope you get it sorted without much damage, I like the "buying more corals" :laughroll: