Laser vs Aiptasia

GlassMunky

you can also build your own laser like this with parts from an old flashlight and an old DVD Burner............ remove the laser from the DVD writer and put it in the flashlight housing, hook up the wires, boom. alot cheaper than $140

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
For goodness sakes...be careful out there! LOL

All kidding aside and I'm no girl scout, however, if you look what it does to whatever you point it at, just be sure to be extra careful when using it. It would be pretty horrific if something happened to the user just because of a nuisance in the tank but also think how you would feel for the rest of your life if you damaged someones eye that just happened to be in the room as an over-sight to the user. Keep in mind that a reflection of the laser can be just as damaging as a direct hit. As far as it accidentally getting in the hands of a child.....Well you know the rest:)

$0.02 Disclaimer over...Carry on:)

hobiej

Are you doing that right through the water? Or are you taking the rock out? Looks like your in the tank still??
I have a 4000 MW blue laser...... That should work just fine!!!!
So glad I saw this, now I have a use for that thing!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!

Seen these threads on a few forums. It's crazy dangerous with people getting burns and eye issues from cheap glasses etc...

Not trying to dash hopes just don't want newer reef keepers getting too excited and getting hurt or harming their tank buddies. I'll link one of the better threads from RC on the subject. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2101768

It is a cool idea but not without it's issues, fun to watch others do it though. :wave:

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Are you doing that right through the water? Or are you taking the rock out? Looks like your in the tank still??
I have a 4000 MW blue laser...... That should work just fine!!!!
So glad I saw this, now I have a use for that thing!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!

No I do not take the rock out.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Seen these threads on a few forums. It's crazy dangerous with people getting burns and eye issues from cheap glasses etc...

Not trying to dash hopes just don't want newer reef keepers getting too excited and getting hurt or harming their tank buddies. I'll link one of the better threads from RC on the subject. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2101768

It is a cool idea but not without it's issues, fun to watch others do it though. :wave:

You are correct it can cause serious damage to your eyes with out proper protection.

Mike Johnson

For goodness sakes...be careful out there! LOL

All kidding aside and I'm no girl scout, however, if you look what it does to whatever you point it at, just be sure to be extra careful when using it. It would be pretty horrific if something happened to the user just because of a nuisance in the tank but also think how you would feel for the rest of your life if you damaged someones eye that just happened to be in the room as an over-sight to the user. Keep in mind that a reflection of the laser can be just as damaging as a direct hit. As far as it accidentally getting in the hands of a child.....Well you know the rest:)

$0.02 Disclaimer over...Carry on:)

Well, I was a boy scout. You can also blind your fish with a reflection; they don't have eyelids. Or burn a fish that dashes out in front of it.

On another note, I wonder if it weakens the glass? Or if it will etch acrylic tanks?

I'm going to stick with my Matted Filefish.