largest artificial reef

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Very interesting. Thanks~

Wow... It took 19 million $$ to clean the ship of all 'toxic' materials before sinking!! :eek:

cracker

She is laying up right in 212ft of water. The flight deck is around 130 ft deep and is 24 miles off Pensecola beach. THAT would be a cool dive!

cracker

According to one of the sites I checked out ,the ship's tower rises to accessable depths. I would assume a dive to the deck or into the carrier would require advanced training and decompression stops. Those nitrox boys will be there no doubt.

http://www.divemightyo.com/
here's a little more info according to these guys the tower or island rises to a depth of 70 ft.

Stevenmi

I vote they just drill a hole the next time...the kaboom had to have killed everything local to the ship...

Steve

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
cracker said:
She is laying up right in 212ft of water. The flight deck is around 130 ft deep and is 24 miles off Pensecola beach. THAT would be a cool dive!

That sounds too deep to me also :bugout:

cracker

On a side note. What does it take to scuttle a ship that large and assure it lands on the sea floor upright? It's no consolation for the life that was close by but this ship will very soon be a haven for much much more marine life than the barren ocean bottom that existed before. Just my OP.

Stevenmi

I was suprised at the ammount of "bluelight" still making it through to the ship in its final resting spot at that depth.

Steve

Witfull

it will be a haven for sea bass and soldier fish and will encrust nicely. Many corals grow well at thatd depth as well and gorgs and sponges. also it will be less effected by tidal and storm surges.

Witfull

if you eat seafood,,its accessible via the marketplace. it will create a oasis for fishing. a ship that size will support a very large variety of many different sea bass.