Kos's 125g tank

kospaintball

i guess since my last tank cracked, this will actually be a new tank. I have a 125g tank, and a 20g & 30g fuge. I have a mh+pc light fixture, there are 3 250mh bulbs and 4 54w pc bulbs. I also have moon lights when there are things in the tank to see at night. I have a reef octopus 250 extreme skimmer with a modded bubble blaster pump. I have a mag 9 return pump that will feed into the two corner over flows.

Went and got the tank today, i will have some pics up later today probably.

for those of you who recall me from several months ago and a few years back, i would have started this one up alot sooner... but my stove blew up and it turns out that it is much more costly to replace a stove top and its damage than just an old fashioned stove and oven combo...

ps. feels good to be back =D

jpsika08

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the stove blowing up, I hope no one was hurt.

Great to see another thread start here, will be following along, post pics when you can :thumbup:

kospaintball

nah no one got hurt thankfully butttt i did have to shave off my fu-man-chu. seems that fire burns hair...
Just kiddin. i still got the beard. but in all seriousness i didn't like putting another stove in.

got almost all the plumbing done tonight. need one more blasted coupling. I knew i was going to need one more but decided not to buy it.... bit me in the hind in. I will do a leak test tomorrow and aslong as everything goes smoothhhhhh i will have my dry rock and sand in this week. (going to play with the lay out for a few days)

jpsika08

I know, when missing something from the store is a pain in the butt!

Good luck with the water leak test.

kospaintball

well, all the pipes are on, and the water is flowing rolling nicely. not making to much racket just 1 problem... every 30-40 seconds it lets out a large bubble down below. What can i do to fix this?

Here is a pic of what i have going.
55d12d79.jpg

sorry about the lame pic, my camera isn't charged and had to use the good ol' web cam

kospaintball

all the water tests pasted, water drained out. Sand is in. Had to throw away all my dry rock.... i tried to start manuvering it around it the stuff started to crumble in my hands... SOOOOOO when i go to get the water i will be buying the rock shortly after that.

100822-225449.jpg

here is where i am now

jpsika08

Great light, too bad for the rock.

Is your pump still releasing bubbles?, if so, turn it off and the on again, it must have a bubbke trapped in the flow.

kospaintball

sorry, i guess i didn't really explain where the air was bubbling from. its in my sump / fuge. The return is perfect, i couldn't ask for a better even flow.

kospaintball

thank you thank you just enjoying everything. im really excited to get some salt water going because i want to fire up this skimmer so dang bad. I tested it in some fresh water.... but it doesn't make skimmate there.

kospaintball

Going to get the water and all the rock this saturday. Im not exactly sure how i will want the rock to go but.... damn im excited

kospaintball

today was the day to get it all started. I went and got water and some live rock.

I got 89 lbs of rock and all the water. Going back tomorrow to get some fresh water... this thing evaps pretty quick. Im not sure exactly, but it looks like 3-5 gallons.

All the lights are on, and the skimmer is rolling. I need to find a way to make my skimmer silent. My over flows are nearly perfect.

kospaintball

lol i started thinking, man im not a dumb guy... i can figure this out. =D few mins of studing the issue and another of the parts i have laying around.... my skimmer is silent (excluding the low hum of the pump) .... this.... is truely fantastic.

kospaintball

sorry for the bogus pic again. one of these days i will get a hi-res pic on here. my wife is asleep and i don't know what she did with the memory card... ah welll

100829-014901.jpg

kospaintball

its the stock 4 that are in my light, deep blue or royal blue which ever you want to call it.

Here are some pics using the significantly better camera.
Full Tank
DSCN1223.jpg

I love the way this rock looks. It is so perfect how it has this ramp on the bottom. I can already picture little hermit crabs crawling up to get some algae from the rocks.
DSCN1225.jpg

kospaintball

i was shooting for a way to have a little bit of everything for everyone. Plenty of open space for the fish that love to swim, places to perch for the fish that dont. Rock scape open from all sides to alow for grazing and good water flow. I wanted to also leave them in this way so that if there is any territorial issues between fish they can have their own "part of the reef". There is also plenty of sand for a jaw fish to clean.

jpsika08

Good thinking, I will take your ideas into consideration once I get to this part of my project, thanks.