Killing apstasia

steved13

PREMIUM
I have had decent results with aiptasia x. It seems to work best when injected into the mouth.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
yes, a turkey baster full of boiling fresh water will too, provided they arent close to anything delicate. For densly populated tanks, nudibranks or shrimp are the popular solutions where there's alot of aip. for a couple, Aiptasa X works well too.

Doogle

I used Mrs. Wages picking lime (kalkwasser). Made a semi-thick consistency of it and used a turkey baster and let it squirt out onto the offender, works instantly. It turns your live rock white for good while and in small tanks using too much will spike your PH but I don't have a PH probe and I honestly don't worry too much, just be careful to getting it on your coral.

iamurri33

apstasia x right down the mouth works great just when you kill it you have to kill it all at the same time because if you kill all and forgot one little piece, the particals float around and your tank will be cover within a weeek or so again. so just make sure you kill them all and look close on your rock. dont put the rock back in tank after you kill the apstasia untill you clean all rock then add all them back in.

yvr

Whenever I see any Aiptasias in my tanks, I inject TM Elimi-Aiptas directly into the stalk as opposed to into the mouth. I find that the product has a better kill rate when injected into the stalk.

Aquaphile

I've been using aptasia x successfully. they key is to be on the offense and stay on top of them. I'm beginning to wonder if they will every be gone completely but i'm winning the war. shut your flow off and get what you can in one sitting and repeat every week or two. let it sit on them for 10 minutes or so before turning flow back on. i bought a couple monaco shrimp to try and help new ones from forming but i havent seen them since they went in. if you are worried about it affecting your corals, it didnt affect anything in my tank, LPS, SPS, fish etc... i will admit i was scared when i turned the water back on and created a snow storm of chemical the first time!

sheavens

I have a little file fish which does the job really well. The funny thing is, I have never actually seen it eat the aptasia, but it definitely does because my DT is now clear of it, and there's nothing else in there that would eat it.
Apparently not all file fish will eat aptasia. I'll see if I can get a pic. of my one and hopefully someone can identify the exact species.