Key West Rock

Emperor559

Well I just got back from Key West and I found some rock on the beach that looks like reef bone. It's all bleached out and I currently have it in a tank with nothing else in it except a few small pieces of live rock and crushed coral gravel. Anyone see any problems with eventually adding this rock to a display tank. I thought about bleaching it but wanted to get the forums opinion.

Greg

brandon

i dont see a problem with it just let it cure for a few weeks before putting it in you display tank

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
possibly any polution on the beach, maybe but could be. the rock could have soaked it up, i would make sure you make an attempt to cleanse the rock as best as you can before adding with like rock in an effort not to affect the live rock. but other than that i dont see any other problems

JWarren

You can shut the tank down that you have it in for an hour and check the surface of the water once it calms down to see if there is any oil slick on the top of the water. If there is you gotta decide whether to go through the trouble cleaning it or ditching it. That's the general problem with rock that lays on the shoreline. Boat oils and fuels that are on the surface of the water get washed over the rock with the tide changes. The amount of these oils may be minute in the waters surrounding the keys, but may have a big impact on your tank.

If you decide to keep it, you can dip it and shake it in a Muriatic acid water bath to help remove oils from the rock. One cup of Muriatic acid to 5 gallons of water. Use tongs, rubber gloves and eye protection as well! Then soak it in fresh water for seven days and change the water everyday. Let it air dry in the sun, if you can, for a day.

Of course it will no longer be live but it will regrow bacteria in your tank from the other live rock.

You are going to have to make a judgment call on using it.

Emperor559

I may do the acid dip. I like that idea. Right now it is in a separate tank with a skimmer so the skimmer may have picked up some of those oils. I'll have to check the tank tonight after I shut things off for a while.

WatchinFish

i have also heard you can boil the rock. hopefully someone else can back me up on that. it should kill anything that you dont want in your tank and it yould be easier and cheaper to do it that way.
can you please post up a pic of that rock. im really intrested in seeing it.
good luck!!!

reefsmoker

i have also heard you can boil the rock. hopefully someone else can back me up on that. it should kill anything that you dont want in your tank and it yould be easier and cheaper to do it that way.
can you please post up a pic of that rock. im really intrested in seeing it.
good luck!!!

I've heard you can make a Mean Gumbo from live rock boiled water! Tastes Great! :barf:

I agree with the others, you will want to clean it. If you dont want to clean it because you want to keep it as live rock, you can just add bacteria to the water after youve cleaned it.

Emperor559

Well it's not live rock it was laying on the beach bleached out so I have no problem cleaning it. Here is a picture.
keywestrock.jpg
[/IMG]

fatman

I have read huge amounts of threads and a few articles from average reefer types in the last week on rock cooking of old live rock, fairly fresh live rock and even on rock cooking of dried base rocks. There were even reefers that had soaked dead rock for a week then cooked their rock. All the cooked rock, even healthy live rock produced huge amounts of stuff that the bacteria pumped from the rock pores. Seems that the bacteia if left in the dark with out newly imported food will eat all kinds of stuff in the rock that have built up over time, and in doing so the bacteria pump out lots of crud. Apparently hosing, swishing and soaking do not remove near as much as the bacteria will. Sure surprised me! Acid or vinegar will etch away the surface and therefore remove anything that was adhering to the surface. As for that below the surface, I would think the rock cooking would work better. I know of no scientific tests that would or would not support the rock cooking though. Or that would suggest whether acid or rock cooking would be best for clearing out the deeper rock (coral skeleton) pore spaces.

Emperor559

Thanks for all your suggestions. I may actually acid wash it and then cook it just to be sure. I am in no rush so no biggy. The rock is eventually going to go in a 75 gallon tank. I still need to build a stand for it so it will be a little bit.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I personally think your wasting your time with the acid wash. That rock looks fine. Do like Fatman said and cook it. Do you understand what cooking rock means? It is a process of keeping the rock in the dark with a heater keeping the water warm. Most people hook a skimmer up to pull all the junk that comes out of the rock like dead matter. Do this for a week or so and you should be good to go. I am willing to give you a hunk of rock from my sump to seed it with since you live so close.
Being you work at a lfs can't you get your boss to give you some rock? They have tons of rubble in that tank up front. If not let me know.

Emperor559

I am not working there right now and there is rubble underneath the rock I got from Key West. Plus I have some spare in my Biocube but thanks for the offer. I plan to use that for another tank down the road. I was unaware of the term "cooking it" was used like that so thanks for that bit of info. Does that get bacteria to do the cleaning I guess?

fatman

The acid etch would really not accomplish much unless you think there might be external pollutants on the rock, such as oil, tar or something. However it will easily remove organics from the surface as it will actually remove the surface it self.
It is generally used more often to remove a layer of the rock when someone has used copper in a tank containing carbonate based rock. With out some pretty extensive testing though it would be hard to tell just how effective it would be even for that use. I have never been able to read how deeply copper will penetrate into live rocks.
Yes with cooking bacteria does the work, however you still need to periodically remove the stuff pumped out of the rock by the bacteria. Some use active skimming, some use just heavy circulation, siphoning of crud and water changes. I assume once active bacteria has colonized all rock, one would want to keep the nutrient level in the water low, so that the bacteria will only use the nutrients in the rocks as food.