Key Hole Angel Experiences?

zenzence

Hello everyone I picked up a key hole dwarf angel from lfs and well I am starting to wonder if it really is reef safe. Does anyone have any experience with this fish? Horror stories?

Thanks
Chad Zenzen

Wrasseman

I don't think there is such a thing as a totally "reef safe" Centropyge. I have read that if there is an abundance of algae in your tank that it may keep the nipping at bay. I have also read that trying lettuce or algae sheets could help. I had a coral beauty angelfish that liked to nip or sample my corals. It did not do any serious damage, but it really frustrated me watching it investigate the corals with its mouth. This is something that you probably have to tolerate if you are interested in keeping this kind of angelfish.

zenzence

Well I think angels are out in my tank unless maybe a flame angel. I have never had a single problem with flames. Had a lemon peel what a disaster that was he did heavy damage! I decided on key hole when he started picking on my birds nest and then swam down and did a double tap on my clam. I did tear down half tank to get him out. Tried fish trap he wasn't going to have anything to do with that! So took him back to phish store and they gave me a whole 10 dollars (store credit).

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
My first flame (lost in a power outage) bothered nothing. The second one destoyed all my SPS, so there's no guarantee with the flames either.