Kessil A150 LED Pendant?

Roots

I just wanted you guys' opinions on the Kessil A150 LEDs

My LFS uses them over their frag tank. They have the 15000k Ocean Blues. They look pretty nice and I know the LFS owner pretty well and he says he has been fairly impressed with them.

The main reason I ask is because I bid on one on Ebay but it's the 10000k Sky Blue, barely used. I figure I could use it over my new 20 Gal Clown Breeder tank so I could add some Zoas and maybe a Nem later down the road. So far I am the highest bidder, but there is a day left on the auction. If I get it It should suffice for a tank that size shouldn't it. I may add an actinic later down the road to accompany it.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Sorry haven't seen them in action, but I wouldn't bid much higher since you can get a new one on ebay for about $60 more from what I see.

Blue Space

yeah, i don't think there are many reefers who have this product yet. kessil was kind of late to the party -albeit they have advanced the technology, but most reefers are still using sing chip led technology instead of dense matrix led technology or dmlt. One other problem they face when targeting reef enthusiasts is that they have not produced a fixture which is dimmable with a tank controller -it's either on or off, which is the reason i haven't pulled the trigger on the a350. Besides, I already have a DIY single chip tech fixture over my frag tank that is controller compatible. for that reason i'm still using mh over my bc29... hopefully someone who has the fixture will chime in with their take on it.

Roots

I'm not bidding any higher than I already have. So if I get it cool, if not, oh well. This one does include the clamp on goose neck which is an additional $35 if purchased separately.

Roots

Thanks. If I get it I will keep you all posted on how I like it once I get in and have some time to use it.

lbiminiblue

OK. Just in case, you might want to find a buy it now deal. Now with auction sniper programs you're likely to get beaten at the last second by one cent or more...or you can get an auction sniper program. But IDK. If it isn't a super great deal it might not happen to you. Best of luck!

Roots

I've never bid on anything on Ebay just for that reason, but we'll see. This auction goes up in increments of $2.50 per bid. I'm not too worried. I jumped into the bid and later wished I had not..... I kind of hope I get outbid, but for some reason I doubt it. I will probably end up having to buy it.

reefer gladness

If you get it let us know how you like it when it's setup. I hear the 10k bulb has more of 12k appearance so you may not even need an actinic supplement.

Roots

Well, I won the auction. I guess I'm glad I got it. $212.00 Shipped including the Gooseneck Arm is a decent deal. I'll let you all know what I think Once I get it and start using it.

lbiminiblue

Niiiiiiceeee....so one of those is enough to support a 20 gallon with nothing complex as far as corals go? Good luck with the tank and light!

Blue Space

Niiiiiiceeee....so one of those is enough to support a 20 gallon with nothing complex as far as corals go? Good luck with the tank and light!

Product description says " A150 output is equivalent to 150-watt metal halide but draws only 32 watts!Ideal for spread of about 20"-24" square area at depth no greater than 24".15000K Special Blend".

I would think that you could keep most any corals.

Roots

Yeah my tank is a 20 Gal. Long, so it's shallow. It should more than suffice for a tank that size. I'll be keeping some soft corals and hopefully a nem down the road. We'll see how it goes.

Doogle

Pics!
Please, I want to see how this looks over 30" of tank if your attaching the arm to the tank.

knapp870

Looks like I'm a little late to this party. My brother has one of these over his 30 gallon tall. I think his is the 14k and it is really really really blue. We have been somewhat unimpressed with this fixture. My LFS also has them and they just have a weird glimmer to them. They also seem a little weak and due to it being such a concentrated source of light above the tank, shadows tend to be an issue. He has lps, 1 sps and zoas, kenyas, maxi anemone, etc. All of which seem to make due. For your 20 long it will probably be better, though you may have to have it fairly high to get the light to spread the length of the tank. Good luck with yours and keep us posted!

Roots

Looks like I'm a little late to this party. My brother has one of these over his 30 gallon tall. I think his is the 14k and it is really really really blue. We have been somewhat unimpressed with this fixture. My LFS also has them and they just have a weird glimmer to them. They also seem a little weak and due to it being such a concentrated source of light above the tank, shadows tend to be an issue. He has lps, 1 sps and zoas, kenyas, maxi anemone, etc. All of which seem to make due. For your 20 long it will probably be better, though you may have to have it fairly high to get the light to spread the length of the tank. Good luck with yours and keep us posted!

Thanks for your input knapp. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions. My LFS uses the 15000k and you are right, they are very blue. However I like the shimmer that they give off and the shaddows that are cast add depth and contrast to the tank. I'm not too worried about it being lower light on the far ends of the tank, I can put my lower light corals in those areas. That is if I like the light once I have it. I can't say too much about it until I actually have it.