Kenya tree won't stay put

AJK

Hi friends,
Ding dong me, pulled a mildly attached Kenya tree off a rock, now no matter where I place the Kenya tree, it falls over. I called lfs for some gel glue, was told to use rubber band to mount on small rock. She said gel glue won't work on soft corals, gave reasons. I watched youtube vids, people using super gel glue to mount corals, including Kenya tree. I'm confused.

I'm new to the hobby, so need easiest method to re-attach tree, I have no idea how to use rubberband on coral.

Help appreciated, pic diagrams, vids would be super helpful. Thanks.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Get a toothpick stick it through the bottom of kenya tree then use the rubberband and attach it around the rock to the ends of the toothpick.

AJK

Hi friend,
Thanks :) Simple for you, difficult for me. What, Lol !!!! Sorry. What type of toothpick ? And how do I wrap rubberband around straight peg ?

Midnight

just get a basic wood tooth pick and stick it threw the base of the Kenya tree, then get a rock and hook a rubber band on each end of the tooth pick and around the rock.

AJK

Hi friends,
Okay, I get it now, duh, Lol !!! Insert toothpick sideway's. I'm a design Engineer and I was stumped, Lol !!! Thanks for everyone's help :)

AJK

Thanks Al, perfect illustration :) Next problem, I don't have any small pieces of rock. Oh gracious, what next, Lol !!!

AJK

Do you have any large particle sized aragonite sand and some super glue gel?

Hi Al,
Sure don't, but I have super glue gel. Sittin here, thinkin, thinkin, thinkin, Lol !! I have small rocks in my fw tanks. I found the perfect rock, I bought an assortment or rubberbands. I'll just have to figure out a way to camoflauge (sp?) rubberband. Dunno, maybe I'll wait and visit lfs tomorrow for frag rock. Thought about using, drill/hammer/chisel to break smallest rock into smaller pieces, also can use for future frags.

steved13

PREMIUM
The rubber band and toothpick are only there until the coral attaches itself to the rock...then you can remove the rubber band and toothpick. No need for camo.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
AJK you can do either of those. Break some of your rock into smaller pieces and/or go to LFS and get frag supplies. I have gotten to where I love to make my own "frag bases" out of sand and Super Glue Gel. If you use the same sand you have in the tank your Frag Bases will become invisible for frags on the sand bed. You can get some "Tips" from this thread:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/coral-propagation/55128-diy-coral-plugs.html#post756590

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Grr... the video I linked to in that thread has been pulled for some reason and I can't find a replacement video. I may make my own when I get moved in a couple of weeks and settled in. The basic concept is this:

Use a small container to hold sand (your choice of type but I'd use something complementary to your tank). I use a tupperware bowl with about 1 1/2" of sand in it. The bowl is about 8"x8" and about 2" tall.

Open the Super Glue Gel and start making a swirl of it starting small and making bigger circles out until you have it the approximate size you want the plug to be. Then I sprinkle more sand (gently as to not push the glue into the sand or make it too thin) over the glue area and let it set up. It sets pretty quickly but I usually make several at a time and set the whole tray aside for a couple of hours just to make sure. More often than not I do this at night and leave it all out until the next evening.

When it's set up you just dig in and pull your newly made frag base out of the sand. Your first few will be "Prototype" and you'll tweak the process to work best to suit your needs.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

Go to this link and see how Sara made her frag base vanish in the sand
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/coral-propagation/55128-diy-coral-plugs-2.html#post760043

AJK

Hi Al, hope your doing well friend? I'm tired and stressed out, need to get some Zzzzz. Thanks for all your help and support :) doing best I can to make everything right. Last night, I tried to stick toothpick through Kenya tree, toothpick kept breaking. So, I broke off piece of rock, placed the tree securily, tree was doing really well, then today tree looks lifeless. CUC makes a mess out of the sand, getting it all over rocks, sps, creating sand dunes, no more baby powder sand :mad:

Damsels/featherduster doing well, but sps could have better day's, seems since I started T5 dual lights, the sps closed up for a week. While single atinic blue, they were fine.

I was thinking of getting new sand, and transferring everything to 30 gal canopy or start cycling 30 gal tank for future. Decisions, decisions, Lol !! Thanks friend :)

7502003.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Kenya and most "Soft" coral will wilt/pout after you mess with them. Some will for a few hours some will for a few days. With that being said I wouldn't worry about it pouting.

Re: Broken toothpick - You'll find a method that works for you. It's trial & error. I found that either really sharp round toothpicks or this really thin/stiff looking toothpick from a fancy restaurant we go to work best. The round sharp ones I just twist like a drill bit making a hole as I push into the tissue (sounds so barbaric). Keep trying and you'll get the hang of it and once you do you'll go, "So THAT'S how it works?"

Happy Reefing :)

AJK

Hi Al,
Thanks for all you help :) I started off all the wrong way's, but getting on the right track. Happy reefing to you to friend.

DesertOrchid

Don't fret too much over the kenya tree they are pretty tough. I have some that pout for a few days and then perk right back up to normal. No rhyme or reason.

AJK

Don't fret too much over the kenya tree they are pretty tough. I have some that pout for a few days and then perk right back up to normal. No rhyme or reason.

Hi friend,
That's wonderful news to read, thanks :) Tree has spread it's branches again.